Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

March 16th, 2009 17:00

Wireless Printer

How do I print to a wireless printer with my Studio 540 Desktop?  I have my desktop connected to my Linksys Router.  I currently have a printer connected to the desktop and want to move it to the other side of the room.  I know how to print from my laptops, but never thought about printing wirelessly from my desktop.  Please advise.  thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 16th, 2009 17:00

The printer is not wireless if it's connected to the desktop and it needs to stay connected to the desktop if it is not actually a wireless printer. If it is a wireless printer (unknown model since you didn't say) you connect the printer to your wireless router following the printer's directions. First you usually connect to the wireless router via Ethernet cable and then disconnect when the printer's instructions tell you to.

14.4K Posts

March 16th, 2009 18:00

If you want to have a wireless printer you need to have a wireless print server hook up. Then you connect the printer to the print server and access it from anywhere you can get a wireless signal. I have two printers one upstairs and one downstairs connected to my wireless network with two print servers and can print from either one from either my desktop or my laptop.

Now selecting  wireless print server involes a bit of research. The biggest hurddle is finding one that is compatable with your printer. And most wireless printservers will only provide basic print function but some will work with multifunction printers.

Linksys does make a wireless print server here is a link to printers it is known to work with

No Events found!