Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2007 04:00

Wireless Questions for Dimension E520

Hello everyone!

I currently have a Dell Inspiron Laptop and will be adding a Dell Dimension E520 Desktop to my collection in the near future.  My laptop has an internal wireless card and I have a few different networks that I am able to connect too.  (linksys, linksys-g, and wireless)  I was wondering what I have to do/purchase so my new desktop will be able to connect as well.  Do I have to purchase a router or any other equipment to be able to connect to a wireless network or does this computer come with the necessary equipment.  What products does Dell sell that would work? 

This is confusing to me because a lot of other companies sell desktops that are wireless network ready.  For example, you can customize an HP desktop and you have the option of a 802.11 b/g wireless lan pci card.  So far, whenever I customize a Dell desktop you only have the option of of choosing a 56k modem.  Does Dell offer a wireless card for desktops too?  If anyone knows, please pass on that information!

Thank you!

nik.f

28K Posts

January 16th, 2007 05:00

First note that if you do not have your own broadband modem and wireless router with a subscription to a cable or dsl internet service, the wireless networks you are connecting to may belong to someone else.   In effect you would be using these networks without permission which is illegal.

So, if you want your own legal wireless connection to the internet, you need a broadband (cable or dsl) internet service in your home.  Then you need a wireless router to connect to the cable or dsl modem.  Wireless routers have 4 ports to which you can connect a wired ethernet cable.   Your desktop has an ethernet adapter, and would best connect to the router through wired ethernet.  

Since desktop computers do not move around, Dell does not have an option for a wireless network adapter.  If you really need to connect to the router by wireless, you can purchase and install either a PCI wireless network adapter or a USB wireless network adapter.  

Steve

2 Posts

January 16th, 2007 15:00

Thanks for the info!  (I do have my own networks at home and at my business.)
No Events found!