Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2009 02:00

Wireless and clueless :-)

Hi

I have an XPS M1710 laptop and am thinking of putting in a draft-n wireless card.

Looking on the net I believe I must get a Intel Wireless Wi-Fi Link 4965AGN http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/wireless/wireless_n/overview.htm

Some images show it with a cable aerial, and others not

Please can someone let me know if this is correct and if there should be anything else (apart from a router) that I should take into account?

Perhaps there is a specific model number I must look for?

Thank-you

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2009 05:00

Inside your system you have 3 antenna wires(3 hook ups on card) that connect A- antenna on white,B,G-antenna on black and the third antenna wire which is N goes on grey.Thats it,install the card hook up antennas,replace battery,and start up.Then install drivers,as a hint i am using Intels driver set for this card along with there utility program for the wireless.I would suggest using these drivers,i had problems with dells driver set not keeping a connection.But thats up to you.Hope this helps.

106 Posts

Hi dgkpcon,

thanks for the reply. You said there is no cable on the card itself but there are 3 hook up points. What are they for - I imagine from their name they hook up to something somewhere  - but what and how?

So no aerial cable is needed, just the card which replaces my existing card+drivers and that's it?

Kind regards

3.6K Posts

The 4965 will work and fit in your system.I have that card in my E1705 and it works fine no problems.

There is NO cable aerial on the card itself,all that you should see are 3 antenna hook up points,1-White,2-Black,3-Grey.The wireless card in the link you posted will work but on the dell site they have one for inspiron vista systems(if you have vista)for $29.99,instead of the $79.99 .

106 Posts

January 20th, 2009 06:00

Hi dgkpcon

That seems clearer now.

Thanks for taking time out to reply.

Kind regards

3.6K Posts

January 20th, 2009 16:00

Your welcome.

1.7K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 14:00

Just to clarify things slightly, the three wires are all the same other than the color so the actual connection on the card they use doesn't matter. Also, while your computer may have all three wires, it is possible it only has two.  If this is the case the N-card will will work, but you might not be able to get the full maximum N connection speed.  It should still work just fine, however.

106 Posts

January 24th, 2009 01:00

Hi Larry,

Thank-you for the additional clarification.

If the PC only has 2 wires can I therefore add a 3rd to ensure the full maximum N connection speed. If yes, does it need to go in a particular location?

Regards

1.7K Posts

January 27th, 2009 10:00

There should be no problems adding the third antenna.  Use the service manual to see how they are run.

No Events found!