Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

September 21st, 2005 15:00

Wireless connection problems

I have a wired & wireless network set-up in my home to connect 4 computers wired and 2 wirelessly + a new X50 that is both.  My issue is that one laptop - Inspiron 2200 will connect to the network and the wireless connection status shows a strong signal, but will not connect with to the internet.  The wireless works fine on the X50 and my Latitude D400 (has a wired docking station too), but not with the 2200. 
The network is set-up as follows: Cable Modem to the Linksys BEFSR41 v2, then to the 2 wired systems in one room, and then to a NetGear WGT624 as an access point (not out/in the WAN port on either) then from the NetGear out wired to 2 systems and then wireless to the Latitude 2200 and the D400.  Both routers have up to date firmware.  All systems have McAfee Internet Security.

Thanks for any help!

3 Posts

December 10th, 2005 16:00

I was wondering if you've received any satisfaction in setting up your wireless network?

I just purchased an Inspiron 9300 (1.73 GHz/533 MHz) with Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 (802.11a/b/g 54mps) and Internal Dell Wireless 350 Bluetooth along with a Netgear 108 Mbps (WGT624) wireless router. My desktop (connected to the router via Ethernet cable) connects to internet fine (I have a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard cable modem). I also have a Linksys VoIP connected to the Netgear via Ethernet and the phone works fine.

The laptop sees the network but is unable to connect. I had a professional attempt to have the laptop access the network without success. I then spent >10 hrs over the past two days on the phone with Dell and Netgear with Dell claiming that the Netgear router has a problem and Netgear claiming the Inspiron laptop has a problem (bad wireless card?).

To make a long story short, I'm returning everything to Dell and requesting new equipment.

I'd be very interested in knowing if others have had problems networking with either a Inspiron 9300 or with a Netgear WGT624 router. At the moment I am extremely dissatisfied with both products.

Thanks.

jmc1983

3 Posts

December 10th, 2005 18:00

Hi, I resolved the issue myself.  Go to the Internet Explorer and to the routers address - standard is 192.168.1.1, then to the Advanced wireless settings, then wireless card access list and make sure the check box is unchecked - mine was checked and I could not get connected, unchecked it works fine.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2005 19:00

Thanks for the reply. I've already done that without success. I'd appreciate any other ideas.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2005 20:00

I'm sure you have checked this already, but is there a signal being received at your laptop?  I have the 4 strength bars showing signal strength.  My issue was it would not connect eventhough it showed the Netgear router.  When I disabled the one check box, it worked great.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2005 20:00

Yes, the antenna is on and the machine receives a signal. I appreciate the suggestions.
No Events found!