Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

February 4th, 2006 00:00

can't connect to internet due to DNS errors

I have a 2400 dimension that accessed internet via D-Link network adapter and Verizon DSL until last week. Now I get 'Page not displayed' error. I have tried to connect with ethernet cable- no luck. Called dell, verizon, and d-link, did all bios and diagnostics, reinstalled XP, manually entered IP address, and everything else I could think of no luck.I also have a toshiba notebook that uses same router that works great. I'm not very technical and really would appreciate the help if anyone knows what I should do!!
Thanks.

28K Posts

February 4th, 2006 00:00

To help troubleshoot this problem, while connected by ethernet to the router, go to Start > Run and type cmd then click OK. In the command prompt window that opens, type ipconfig /all then hit the enter key. Write down the output from this command or select it and save it to a txt file, then copy this output into a reply to this message.

Steve

28K Posts

February 4th, 2006 01:00

Do the ipconfig /all command again and post the results.

Steve

117 Posts

Try running a program called Winsock Fix .. you can get it here:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Hope it helps

5 Posts

Steve,

Yep, definitely DHCP...sorry. We changed settings as you said. Now the pc says "limited or no connectivity" and when we tried to repair it, it states 'unable to renew IP address.

5 Posts

here it is-

IP config

hostname:DB3TGY61

primary DNS suffix:

node type: hybrid

ip routing enabled: no

WINS proxy enabled: no

ethernet adaptor local area connection: media disconnected

description: broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated cont roller

physical address: 00-0F1F5F397B

Ethernet adaptor wireless network connection

connection specific DNS suffix:

description: D-Link Airplus G DWL-G122 wireless USB adapter

physical address: 00-13-46E51480

DNCP enabled: no
IP address: 192.168.1.5
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 192.58.128.30

Thanks!!

28K Posts

Are you sure the line that says "DNCP enabled: no" isn't really DHCP enabled ?  If so then this is your problem as you have a static IP address that is not recognized by your router.  You need to Open Network Connections right click on your wireless network connection and select Properties from the drop down menu.  Find the listing for Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) select it and click on the Properties button.  Make sure there is a checkmark next to "Obtain an IP address automatically" and a check mark next to "Obtain DNS server address automatically"  How did your network adapter get set with a static IP address?

Steve

5 Posts

February 4th, 2006 02:00

Hi, the IP config is the same except for the following:
DHCP enabled: Yes
Autoconfig enabled: yes
Autoconfig IP address: 169.254.242.235

thanks.

5 Posts

February 4th, 2006 03:00

I downloaded the fix as recommended above- and was able to access the internet!! The only problem is that every 15 seconds or so I get an error message that IE is closing and do I want to send an error report. Any additional thoughts? Do I still have something set up wrong? Thanks for your continued help!!!

28K Posts

February 4th, 2006 04:00

I'm surprised that since you reinstalled Windows you had to do the winsockfix.  This is usually only necessary if you are infected with spyware or if you have recently removed spyware.  A clean install of Windows should have removed all spyware.  It sounds like you still have it though.  When you get the message to send the error report, click on the link to show the details of the error report.  Write down and report here the AppName and ModName involved in the error.  With that information, we may be able to determine what the problem is.

Steve
No Events found!