Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2009 19:00

need help with IntelPROset/wireless connection utility

Hi all,

I have an Intel wireless card and the driver installs this utility (Precision M4400 running XP Pro SP3). When I try to connect to a secure network, instead of asking for a WEP key it asks me about device ownership, and indicates that I should be able to find that number on the device. In this field I can only type in numbers, so it is impossible to input a normal alphanumeric key.

How can I get it to simply ask for the correct password, as the Windows utility does? I have read thru the instructions and I have not found the answer. Perhaps there is a buried setting somewhere?

MTIA,

Toby

1 Message

October 29th, 2013 09:00

One of my employees has reported the same issue.   I've never encountered this issue before but it has been a long time since I've used this utility.  The workaround I have used is to create a profile for the Wireless Network using the Intel PROset/Wireless configuration utility.   Double click on the Intel Wireless Radio icon in the bottom right corner of the screen.  Click on the Add button to create a new profile. Enter a Profile name unique to the connecton and then the SSID.  Choose "Network (Infrastructure)"  Choose the Security type (Personal or Enterprise) and then the security settings (for my connection is it WPA-Personal (AES-CCMP).  Click, OK then Close the profiles window.  You should be able to connect automatically from the profile.  I hope it helps!

47 Posts

October 21st, 2009 02:00

Toby - Jeff here - need more info:

!. What model is the Intel wireless card?

2. What model computer are you using?

3. Are you trying to connect to a "public Hot Spot", home network (if so what is the Manufacturer & model" of the router), other?

4. What is the EXACT message you are receiving.

Jeff

October 21st, 2009 06:00

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for answering. Somehow I've managed to solve my problem. Before, when trying to connect to ANY security-enabled network (clicking on the "Connect" button in the utility)  the next window that came up said "Confirm Device Ownership" (IIRC). Now I am getting the standard "Enter Encryption Key" window and all is fine. I did go into the advanced settings looking for the correct setting, but what I thought should work didn't seem to, so I just enabled zero wireless and let Windows do it. Perhaps it just needed to be rebooted to be enabled (though it would have been nice to know that...) Oh well, Intel software has never been notable for user friendliness, IME

FYI I am running a Wifi Link 5300 AGN card on a Precision M4400 notebook (XP Pro 2002 SP3), driver ver. 12.0.0.82. It looks like it installs in a different configuation mode than the one I wanted.

Best regards,

Toby

47 Posts

October 21st, 2009 10:00

Toby,

Nice job. I suspect you are correct that the reboot resolved it. Power-cycling after any router changes never hurts and often helps.  

Jeff

October 23rd, 2009 01:00

Aaarrgh...this is not solved at all. When I tried to connect to my home router I got the window to input the encryption key, but today at work, trying to log in to an identical router which I set up the same, with a similar 128 bit WEP key, I am getting something different and unwanted. Let's start from the beginning.

Precision M4400, XP Pro build 2002 with SP3, Intel  Wifi Link 5300 AGN card, latest driver on the Dell site, ver 12.0.082.

When the PROset wireless connection utility is active, it scans for and reports available networks. At home, it shows my network. When I highlight and click the "connect" button, a new window opens asking me to input the encryption key. I do. It works fine. End of story.

BUT...

When I am at work, and highlight my work network, and click "connect", the dreaded "Wifi Protected setup wizard" window opens. This window goes on about how one or more wireless protected networks are found, and the wizard will guide me through...bla, bla, bla...There is a dropdown field in this window which shows the SSID of my network.

I click "next" and up comes a window which says: "To connect to the following device, enter the device password. The password is either displayed or printed on the device."

And there is the field, asking me for "Device Ownership password". And here I hit a brick wall. There seems to be no way to get around this wizard, at least none that I can find. Clicking the "?" button brings up a help page called "Configure an access point and set up a network", which goes on at length about registrars and other matters which need not concern me. I just want to enter the encryption key for the freakin' network already!

So here I have to sadly F10 the utility and let Windows handle it, which it does, surprisingly for once, easily and without complaint. 

I've read through the help file for the connection utility, and I have not located any good explanation of how I ax this wizard. This happens not only on my work wifi, but in all the various passworded hotspots in which I have tried to connect.

Any ideas or tips greatly appreciated,

Toby

107 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 13:00

If you do not like the INTEL  PRO wireless program, why not remove it and use windows to configure your wireless.  in the run box type appwiz.cpl hit enter

scroll down till you see the intell PRO WIRELESS..Click on  the remove / update .  I am going by memory, you should get presented with a tree structure that will give you a listing...make an "X" by everything except for the intel driver...click continue. Then reboot,  in the run box type NCPA.CPL  hit enter , right click your wireless card , click properties. Then click the middle tab at the top, wireless., check the box "let windows configure your wireless"  DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE, CLICK OK.

you can either re-enter at that point and click view wireless networks or right click the wireless icon in the icon tray and click view wireless networks.

47 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 22:00

Toby - Jeff here again, One other question.

Did the WORK-connection work before or, did you just set up the WORK & HOME routers. If we resolve the WORK one, all other HotSpots should work too.

Are the routers at home and work set up identically?

Jeff

2.4K Posts

October 24th, 2009 01:00

I think your problem lies in the fact that you setup two routers with the same SSIDs. You should use seperate SSIDs at each location. I would not use WEP for it is not secure, however you should use WPA or WPA2.

October 24th, 2009 07:00

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I first noticed this Device Ownership issue when trying to connect to a hotspot in a cafe. The home router was setup without security at first, and I added the WEP key afterward. Therefore perhaps in the home router the network was already identified and somewhere in memory. The work network is new, and I added the security key before I tried to connect the first time. The routers are two models of the Buffalo air station, identical except that one is high power.

I suppose I could reset the work router without security, let the PROset wireless utility connect me, then reset the security and see if it simply asks me for the encryption key instead of throwing the setup wizard at me. Perhaps I should do that anyway, and set stronger encryption, but that won't help me when trying to connect outside.

In response to the other posts (thank you guys too). Windows does fine, and I could deinstall the utility, true, or use F10 (and easy shortcut, thank you Intel) to let Windows manage wifi whenever necessary, but I am just flummoxed that the Intel utility would not have a way to simply connect to an existing network, which, it seems to me, should be the main task of such a utility.

I must be missing an obvious piece of the puzzle, this can't be right or no one would be using this utility and/or Intel would have fixed the problem long since.

One thing occurs to me, though I don't see how it would enter: I am living in Japan and China, so all these routers have non-English firmware. But at the end of the day, when the utility detects the presence of a wireless signal with security, shouldn't it just ask for the key, like Windows does so reliably?

Toby

1 Message

October 20th, 2010 06:00

Sorry to resurrect a year old thread, but I recently re-installed Windows and ran into this EXACT same problem. WPA keys are alphanumeric, but the field in this software only allows you to input numbers. Since there is no good solution here and none found elsewhere on the Net, I resorted to uninstalling the Wi-Fi utility software and just using Windows to set up my connection. Ridiculous!

1 Message

September 9th, 2011 06:00

The "Device Ownership Password" is really your routers WiFi protected setup password, which you can find by looking on the router, most of the time somewhere next to the s/n.  Its labeled as WPS.

1 Message

October 5th, 2013 10:00

In response to xxdjbxx’s post:

I had the same problem that Toby described where the “WiFi protected setup wizard” forces me to enter numbers only into the field “device ownership password” and seemed to want eight numbers maximum. I tried entering the WPS Pin (since this is eight numbers) and this did get me to the next screen whereon I could choose a new network name, the encryption type, and the network key, but then using the automatically generated long and nonsensical network key did not work, entering the network key printed on the modem (which should have been entered to begin with in place of the WPS pin) did not work, and entering in a new and made-up password of my design did not work (tried just letters, as well as alphanumeric, as well as alphanumeric + symbols).

WPS pin in "device ownership password" field is NOT the solution.

Thank you to Toby and LA1.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2014 01:00

WOW!!! Wireless Dummy you are not. I have tried for days if not a year. I thought I did the same as you said, but decided to give it another shot and it worked. Thank you so very much.

No Events found!