Having a serious problem with my PC type Dell Vostro 460
Where the network card is not recognized from time to time
But when I disconnect the power supply or when re-Rest Bios

Sometimes network card appear
The operating system I have Windows 8 Enterprise

1.8K Posts

January 16th, 2013 00:00

Hi sofian33,

Dell has not tested Vostro 460 with Windows 8. For more information on this, you can refer to link: http://dell.to/RyY54k 

Please let me know if it is Ethernet card or wireless card. 

You can load BIOS defaults by following the steps below and see if it makes any difference:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Press F9 to load defaults. F10 to save changes and Esc to exit the system BIOS.
  • Restart your computer. 

If the issue still persists, you can update the system BIOS from link: http://dell.to/UraJjW 

Note: Please ensure the system is connected to any surge protector (if any) to avoid the unexpected shut down. Disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Steps to update the system BIOS: 

• Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

If the issue is with wireless card and still persists and you are comfortable opening the chassis, you can try re-seating the wireless card of your computer. You can find detailed information on re-seating the wireless card from the link: http://dell.to/UPsQ1i 

Note: Please ensure to follow safety instructions mentioned in manual. 

If the issue is with Ethernet card, it is integrated on the motherboard of computer and might need replacement. 

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

January 21st, 2013 22:00

Thank you for your attention

The type of card that is the cause of the problem (network card)

Problem remains even after updating the BIOS

1.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2013 06:00

Hi sofian33,

Are you facing this issue with wired or wireless connection?

If issue with the wired connection (Ethernet card), check in BIOS if the 'Onboard LAN controller' is enabled by following the steps below:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as you see the Dell logo, start tapping the ‘F2’ key on top of the keyboard.
  • If you wait too long and the Microsoft Windows appears, then continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Now shutdown your computer and try again.
  • After this a new window would appear. You can only use the arrow keys of the keyboard to navigate between the options as the mouse is not functional in this mode.
  • Navigate to 'Advanced Tab' and check is 'Onboard LAN controller' is enabled. (Enable if disabled)

• Press F10 to save changes.
  • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved. 

Another step is to check the Ethernet port (if it is loose, sticky or broken) and try re-seating the Ethernet cord.

If is an issue with the wireless card and you are comfortable opening the system chassis, you can try re-seating the PCI wireless card installed on your computer by following the steps given in previous post.

Please share the findings. 

3 Posts

January 27th, 2013 21:00

Onboard LAN controller' is enabled all the the time

i changed it several times , hope to solve the problem by doing that

but its still

1.8K Posts

January 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi sofian33,

If it is a wireless card and you are comfortable opening the system chassis, you can try re-seating the card and see if the issue persists. You can find detailed information on re-seating wireless card from link: 

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-460_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Note: Please ensure to follow safety instructions mentioned in manual.

If it is an Ethernet card, it is integrated on motherboard of computer and might need replacement. Another possible option in this case can be to use a PCI or USB network card, which would workout cheaper than replacing motherboard. 

If the system is under warranty, you can private message me the Service Tag of computer. I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply for further clarifications.  

No Events found!