Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2006 13:00

problems with Inspiron 2200 connecting wireless

I haven't been able to get a wireless connection.  When I go to network connections, there's no wireless tab. I have an internal card and my router  seems to be working.
What am I overlooking.
Thanks, granz

28K Posts

February 2nd, 2006 13:00

Does the wireless network adapter show up in Device Manager when you expand the listing for Network Adapter?

Steve

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2006 20:00

Steve,

In fact, there are two listed.  Should I delete one?  I must have downloaded two.

Thanks,

Nancy

28K Posts

February 2nd, 2006 22:00

If both are the same, then yes, remove one of them.

Steve

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2006 23:00

Steve,

Here's the rundown on the adapters.

DISPLAY ADAPTERS: Mobile Intel (R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Shipset Family (there are 2 of these and I tried to remove one.  I think I messed up as it removed the other adapters and had to do a rollback to yesterday)

NETWORK ADAPTERS: Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect Modem

PCMCIA ADAPTER: Texas Instruments PCI-1510 Card Bus Controller

That's it and they all seem to be working okay. I still have 2 of the Display Adapters.

Thanks,

granz

15 Posts

February 2nd, 2006 23:00

Steve,

Also, in NETWORK ADAPTERS  I have the Belkin 54g Wireless USB Network Adapter.  I left that one off, sorry.

granz

28K Posts

February 3rd, 2006 00:00

Everything looks normal there, you have a wireless network adapter, an ethernet network adapter, a modem, and you must have had a USB wireless network adapter connected at some time.   Is the USB wireless network adapter connected now?  If you go into network connections, what network connections show up there?

Steve

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 02:00

PS  Is it supposed to show 2 of the same thing in Display Adapters?

15 Posts

Steve,

It's not showing any names for wireless connections.

The connection icon is red.  This is the info I get when I click it.

WIRELESS INFO

connect To Network: default (00:13:46:A3:CA:0C)

Network Type: access Point

Channel: 6

Encryption: Off

Link speed 11Mbits/sec

IP INFO

DHCP Status: Enable current IP: 192.168.0.100

Curr

Link Speed:  11 Mbits/sec

IP INFO

DHCP status: Enable current IP: 192.168.0.100

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS server: 192.168.0.1

And, yes, it shows  of the same thing on the Display Adapters.  When I tried to delete one of them,

it deleted the other adapters so I had hotfix back to yesterday.

Thanks,

granz

15 Posts

Steve,

Yes, it's connected.  That's my problem.  It doesn't show any connections at all.

When I go to the wireless connection,  there's no tab for it.

granz

28K Posts

You have to be more explicit.  I don't understand anything you are saying.  What does this mean - "Yes, it's connected.  That's my problem.  It doesn't show any connections at all"  What is connected if it doesn't show anything at all?

I don't know what you mean when you say there is no "tab" for it.  In the Network Connections box on every computer I have seen  there aren't any tabs at all, so I don't know what you are referring to.

Let's get things straight so we both know what we're talking about.  Go to Start > Control Panel > Network & Internet Connections > Network Connections.  What network connections show up there?

No, you shouldn't have 2 video adapters showing up in Device Manager unless you have two video cards (unlikely on a laptop).

Steve

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 03:00

PS one more thing.  It seems to be connecting when it's plugged directly into the router.   It disconnects when I unplug it.

granz

28K Posts

February 3rd, 2006 03:00

While this is usefull information, it is not what I asked for.  Please go back and read my last post.  Once you get to the Network Connections box, I just want to know what is listed in that box.  Don't click on anything.  Again, just tell me what network connections are listed in the box, under Name, Type, Status, Device Name.  If necessary, click on the View tab and select Details as the view.

Steve

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 04:00

Steve,

1.Wireless Network Connection 5,  Lan or High Speed Inter. not connected, Belkin 54g Wireless USB

2.Local Area Connection, Lan or High Speed Inter., network cable unplugged, Intel (R) PRO/l00 VEnet

3.Wireless Network Connection, Lan or High Speed Inter.,not connected, Dell Wireless 1370 WLAN

4.Local Area Connection 2, Lan or high Speed inter., connected, Westell WireSpeed Dual

granz

28K Posts

February 3rd, 2006 04:00

Connection number 4 appears to be a USB connection to a modem.  What kind of modem do you have, cable or dsl?  Are you unplugging the USB connection to the modem before connecting the modem to the router by ethernet?  Are you powering down the modem everytime you change the device that is connected to it?

Steve

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2006 05:00

Steve,                                                                                                                                               DSL.  I've done it different ways.

granz

No Events found!