Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2013 07:00

wifi is not connecting automatically

i am using dell inspiron N5050 and my wifi is not connecting automatically after power cut and i have to reboot the device then it connects to the network. i have already updated the drivers and reinstalled the win 7 ,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 13:00

mkgupta0491,

Please continue with DELL-Ravi Ch

If I'm reading this correctly, you are connecting but then loose the connection and it does not reconnect, correct? If yes, then try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your network adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 29th, 2013 05:00

Hi mkgupta0491,

Please enable ‘Connect automatically when this network is in range’ feature in the wireless card properties.

1. Click on Start button.
  2. In the search box type, ‘Manage Wireless Networks’ and then press enter.
  3. Right Click on the network you connect normally and click on Properties.
  4. In the Connection tab give a check on ‘Connect automatically when this network is in range’.
  5. Click OK.

Please let me know if this helps.

December 29th, 2013 07:00

actually that box is already checked.....so sadly the problem not solved.....:emotion-6:

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 31st, 2013 04:00

Hi mkgupta0491,

Please reply us with the details of the Wireless card configured on the system so that I can check and assist you further.

December 31st, 2013 09:00

srry plz  tell me how to check for the wireless card configured.....?????

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2014 12:00

Hi mkgupta0491,

I would suggest you to delete the wireless network under ‘Manage wireless networks’ and reconfigure the network by adding it. You can find ‘Manage wireless networks’ under ‘Network and Sharing Center’.

January 2nd, 2014 18:00

not working.....:emotion-9:

is there any hardware problem??

January 4th, 2014 07:00

unfortunately this setting is alredy there........

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 4th, 2014 08:00

mkgupta0491,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

If the above is correct, then I would download the drivers for the adapter and save them to your desktop.

Make a system restore point.

Go to device manager, network adapters, right click on your adapter, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the software and drivers.

Restart your computer.

When you login, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter, but fail. Install the drivers you saved to your desktop.

Now you'll have to manually connect, make sure the box is checked, connect to this network automatically.

What happens?

Virus program and firewall you're using?

Rick

4 Posts

March 25th, 2014 15:00

I'm having the same problem with a brand new Latitude E6440 that will not automatically connect to wifi. I have done everything listed in this post and I have to start the Dell Unified Wireless Application and manually check the "enable wireless radio" box before the system connects. Once that is done the system auto connects between wired connections and the wifi network. Once the laptop is rebooted or shut off and then restarted, the auto connect feature doesn't work. Let me provide a little background for you....we normally blow away the "dell image" of Windows 7 Professional and apply our own Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit. That is when the problem starts. I have been unable to get the E6440's to auto connect between our wired and wireless networks unless I perform the above mentioned steps. None of our E6420 laptop exhibit this behavior and auto connects properly. It seems that Dell has removed the "disconnect on wired connection" setting in the Wifi driver like it's set up on the E6420's and added that feature to a new "Dell Unified Wireless Application" instead. I tried taking the corporate Windows 7 Enterprise image out of mix by manually installing Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and then installing all the appropriate Dell drivers using the "How to download and Install drivers in the correct order" documentation. I get the same results. The system will not automatically connect and disconnect between wired and wireless networks until I manually set the enable wireless radio" check box. If I use the "dell image" from the recovery partition, the wireless network auto connects just fine. So that tells me that Dell is applying some configuration setting or registry entry that I'm not aware of. Any suggestions? Regards, Mike Berrey Grass Valley USA, LLC IT Desktop Support

1 Message

March 28th, 2014 03:00

Hi there... I too just purchased a Latitude E6440 (i7, Windows 7 OS 64-bit, etc) and could not connect to my wifi router.

While looking thru this forum and grabbing at straws (even looking at wifi problems for OTHER models of laptops, etc.), I came across something that made sense to me, so I tried the solution and "lo and behold," it worked like a champ and connected the first time...

The person suggested that Bluetooth may be interfering with the connection and also mentioned the power saving feature might, too, be an issue with this device...

Heck, I am even now using the wifi to submit this to you,,, sooo, here is the solution:

My wireless adapter in the E6440 is a Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235...

In device manager find your wireless adapter, double click to get the "properties" sheet for the device.

You will see tabs on this page, so first click the "Power Management" tab and then 'clear' or 'uncheck' the checkbox marked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

Next, click the "Advanced" tab to get another list of properties to check... you will see two (2) boxes--one marked "Property:" with a list of stuff inside (about 10 or 12 items listed) and a smaller box to the right of that property box marked "Value:"

Find the property in the list called "Bluetooth" something and click it to highlight it.  In the "value" box, change the value to "Disabled" and then click the "OK" button at the bottom of the property page.

I can't tell you WHICH of the TWO changes I made actually made the darn thing work, but when I unplugged my ethernet cable to get the wireless icon in the system tray so I could connect, it was only a matter of seconds after I entered the security key before I had a connection... woo hoo!!

Hope this helps all those people out there who are having similar "connection to router" problems...

Gail

Now, if anyone has a solution to a USB 3.0 port not being recognized (only 1 of my 3 not recognized), then I'd appreciate a shout out... thanks

4 Posts

March 28th, 2014 15:00

Hello, Thank you very much for responding to my post. I was hoping to hear from someone having the same problem. I heard about the “allow the computer to turn off the this device to save power” setting and it’s been unchecked with no change. The wireless adapter shipping with the E6440’s we use are using Dell 1506 802.11 adapter and doesn’t have the same property entries under the advanced tab like the Intel adapters. We don’t purchase the systems with the Bluetooth option so there’s no advanced setting to turn that off. So I’m still not able to get our systems to automatically connect and disconnect between our LAN and WLAN networks. If you hear of a fix, I’d like to hear from you again. As for the USB3 problem you’re having, we haven’t experienced that problem. Once the USB 3.0 driver has been installed, all of the ports start working. I hope you find a fix for that soon. Thanks again for your response to my post. Guess I’ll have to keep on looking. Regards, Mike

1 Message

April 3rd, 2014 07:00

I'm having the same issue with a Latitude.  

1 Message

January 19th, 2015 16:00

I have a Dell Latitude E7440 running Windows 7 and I had the same problem. After following http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79992-windows-7-does-not-connect-automatically-wireless.html by adding LOCAL SERVICE to the Security Permission tab for C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc, the problem was resolved.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

March 31st, 2015 11:00

How do I open the "Dell Unified Wireless Application"?

No Events found!