Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 10th, 2007 19:00

Powerconnect 6224 Multicast Routing

Hello Forum.

I've tried to get multicast routing to work across a WAN with a Dell 6224 on either side.  I've tried any and every setting I could find, but I can't get it to work properly.

I spoke to a Dell PowerConnect Technicial Support Rep who was able to verify that it wasn't possible to configure Multicast Routing without having Multicast act as Broadcast.  In other words, the Layer 2 snooping and bridge filtering settings were ignored once Layer 3 Multicast routing was enabled and all multicast messages were sent to every port.  This brings my switch down to the point where I can't even telnet to it (we send a lot of multicast), I have to stop the multicast traffic before I can regain access.

In my searches, I haven't seen anything about this issue so I thought I'd get one started.  Can one of the moderators update the status of this issue, or even better, provide a configuration which multicast traffic behaves as expected?  It doesn't matter which multicast routing protocol as I can use any that I can get to work.

Also, I'm using the October 2007 firmware, which is the latest at this time.  The new querier solved a different issue.

Thanks.

February 2nd, 2008 16:00

So the multicast routing protocols are essentially DVMRP or PIM, the one you shoud use is PIM - Protocol Independent Multicast.

If you say that once you enable PIM - then all host/client ports are flooded the multicast stream - then it sounds like a software bug.

Steps for enabling multicast :

(1) Ensure IGMP Snooping is enabled - this ensures that only hosts which request (JOIN) a mulitcast group,and "should" prevent flooding to other users - as a L2 MAC address is associated with the L3 group address and programmed into the forwarding address tbael of switch.

(2) Enabled PIM (Sparse MODe) - avoid Dense mode - as this pushes (floods groups to ports, and then prunes back.  Sparse mode is a pull model.....wait till a host/client requests the mutlicast stream.

SM.

No Events found!