Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 24th, 2015 10:00

VLAN 3024 Switches

Hi, Would someone be able to help a Switch newbie  please :-)

I am trying to VLAN and stack a pair of Dell N3000 series switches.

I have a Dell 3024F switch which I have stacked together with a 3024 switch using two stacking cables.

The stacking cables are arranged:

Cable 1: From 3024F Port 2 to 3024 Port 1

Cable 2: From 3024F Port 1 to 3024 Port 2

This seems to work and the two switches are reporting that they are stacked as one unit.

Next I needed to split them into 2 VLANs. (The site does not have enough rack space for separate switches in the rack room!)

So I created 2 VLANS:

VLAN ID = 2, Name: Thin Client Primary

VLAN ID = 3, Name: Cluster Primary

Now I needed to assign the ports, therefore I edited each port and changed it from "Access" to "General".

For the 3024F, I assigned Ports Gi1 to Gi12 to VLAN ID 2, by placing a "T" in the relevant box under each Port ID.I repeated this for ports Gi13 to Gi24 assigning them to VLAN ID 3.

I also assigned the Te1 port to VLAN 2 and the Te2 port to VLAN 3, so that I can run a fibre which would be dedicated to a VLAN.

For the 3024 switch, I repeated the above.

Therefore I should now have a stacked switch that has half its ports on 1 VLAN and half its ports on another. The Fibre ports are also segregated - meaning I can run independent fibres that are dedicated to a VLAN.

At the end of this two fibres I have another 3024 witch which I have setup in exactly the same way - so that I have 2 VLANs (ID 2 and 3).

This should mean that I now have two independent networks - running over two fibres.

Is this a correct configuration - is there a better way?

Many thanks for taking the time to read my question - much appreciated.

• 

8.7K Posts

April 24th, 2015 12:00

Hi,

That configuration sounds fine. Depending on if the fiber connections go to the same place you could possibly use 1 fiber and have it do both VLANs or a LAG with both fibers doing both VLANs. There would not be much of a reason to change your current configuration though.

No Events found!