Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2009 18:00

Lost Fast access Facial Recognition after Window 7 upgrade...is there a fix for this yet?

Hi,

After completing the Windows 7 upgrade (64 bit) I lost the Fast Access Facial Recognition software/drivers. I searched Dell's site and didn't find the fix for this. Has anyone found a fix? My Pc is a studio XPS 16.

Thanks!

Bob

November 7th, 2009 20:00

I did a clean install on one system that didnt really have anything on it and I did an upgrade on mine. Doing the clean install you lose all the preinstalled software dell gives you when you get your pc.

I did have my desk for the Fast Access though so I did reinstall that so far, but Im trying to figure out how to ge tthe other programs back on I just havent really tried yet.

211 Posts

November 8th, 2009 11:00

Hi,

After completing the Windows 7 upgrade (64 bit) I lost the Fast Access Facial Recognition software/drivers. I searched Dell's site and didn't find the fix for this. Has anyone found a fix? My Pc is a studio XPS 16.

Thanks!

Bob

I believe that if you use the Dell supplied Win7 discs, that FastAccess re-installs when you run the 2nd "driver" DVD (though I think that you may need to have run it ahead of the upgrade to Win7 as well so it could scan to see what software you have pre-installed). If you used retail (i.e. non Dell) DVDs, then you'll need to reinstall FastAccess from somewhere else. In the past, at least, Dell tech support has been willing to supply replacement installation CDs upon request.

As a follow-up question, when specifically did you buy your laptop?

3 Posts

November 8th, 2009 16:00

Hi,

I just purchased the laptop from Dell online about 3 weeks ago.

When I ran the first disc it stated that FastAccess was not supported by Windows7 and had to be uninstalled. The camera worked after the Windows7 install, but not with facial recognition. I assume FastAccess has to update the drivers for Windows7... Just wondering if the drivers were avaiable yet.

Thanks for the reply!

Bob

November 8th, 2009 20:00

November 8th, 2009 20:00

Oh you know what, the same thing actually happened to me.

You have to update your drivers for your camera first, then install the fast access after or if you have already installed it just go into  sysconfig.exe and uncheck fast access from the start up so its not starting up. Then you can get your drivers for your camera and have fastaccess start up again.

211 Posts

November 9th, 2009 07:00

Oh you know what, the same thing actually happened to me.

You have to update your drivers for your camera first, then install the fast access after or if you have already installed it just go into  sysconfig.exe and uncheck fast access from the start up so its not starting up. Then you can get your drivers for your camera and have fastaccess start up again.

Thanks for the info Jackie. You are quite correct that there is a potential issue with one particular camera driver that worked in Vista, but is not Win7 compatible. Despite the fact that Sensible Vision has nothing to do with the camera driver itself (we just use the driver like any other video application would) we do choose to talk about it on our website (please see link below for complete details)

http://www.sensiblevision.com/v/dell/win7.htm

because the symptom caused by the incompatible camera driver can be OBSERVED when FastAccess goes to use the camera during the first login to Win7...which is by definition before the normal Windows update mechanism has a chance to run and update the camera driver. Disabling FastAccess - either by simply setting it to "Disabled" in the FastAccess management console - or by other means as you have outlined - before the Win7 upgrade easily avoids the issue. Using the Dell-supplied Win7 update DVDs should also avoid the issue as the updated camera driver is included in the Win7 upgrade process itself.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

I don't know if this will help or not.

I had a small issue with my fingerprint reader with Windows 7. I'm trying to remember exactly what I did because I did a few things until it worked.

I think I went to Drivers & Downloads enetred my service tag number. I then downloaded the Vista drivers for my system. I then installed the drivers in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the setup.exe file, left click properties, left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista.

If that doesn't work, try the compatibility mode using the disk.

Rick

211 Posts

No problem Bob.  :-)

Let's be clear first that the drivers for the camera and FastAccess are actually separate entities. Of course FastAccess (which is a program - not a driver) USES the camera, but all that it requires is that a camera be present and functioning.

I have heard other reports that the Windows upgrade process says that FastAccess is not compatible with Win7. If you have FastAccess version 2.4.7, then that message is simply wrong. Even if you have a version older than 2.4.7, you should still be able to keep it installed and upgrade it either before or after the Win7 upgrade is completed (preferably before).

It's my understanding that if you run the 2nd DVD supplied by Dell (the one that they say has the "drivers", but that also includes the FastAccess program), before the Win7 update and then run it again afterward that FastAccess will be re-installed automatically. Unfortunately I have not yet been able to actually try this myself so I can't confirm this for certain.

Bottom line is that if at all possible, one should avoid de-installing FastAccess prior to the upgrade to Win7. If you are forced to de-install then you will have to re-install it afterward. Hopefully running the 2nd, somewhat confusingly named "driver" DVD from Dell will do the trick, but if it doesn't then you may have to contact Dell tech support to request a replacement installation CD or download. Since you purchased your laptop only 3 weeks ago, Bob, you should certainly be eligible to receive an updated copy of FastAccess if one did not ship with your laptop originally (and if you did get a copy with your laptop then by all means use that to re-install).

Please note that I work for Sensible Vision - the FastAccess manufacturer - and in no way speak for Dell. I can not represent what they will or will not be willing to do for people or send to people. We don't actually provide any support for the Dell version of FastAccess ourselves...I'm just trying my best to help everyone out according to what I've heard and seen myself personally. Hopefully some of what I'm saying is beneficial.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2009 09:00

All,

Thanks for all the great replies to my post!

I did manage to get this issue resolved with the help from Dell tech support last night. I was going to the wrong download area when looking for the FastAccess update. Everything is working fine now.

BTW - the disks that come with the PC from Dell only restore your system back to it's original configuration. You can't extract programs off the disc since they are CAB files. At least that's how my discs are.

Thanks Again!

Bob

November 30th, 2009 13:00

The Easiest Solution:  I have a Dell Studio 14z which came with FastAccess and I also lost it when upgrading to Windows 7.  My solution was to go to my account at Dell (setup after buying the computer) at http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=pub.  After signing in, I selected "Drivers and Downloads" ( your system should be pictured).   At the bottom of this page is a section called "Software Downloads" with the option to "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads)."  Select this option and FastAccess can be downloaded there if it was part of your original system from Dell.  The current version is 2.4.7 (older versions are available here too).  AN IMPORTANT NOTE:  this only works using Internet Explorer with Windows Net Framework 3.5 installed (which can be downloaded at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=333325FD-AE52-4E35-B531-508D977D32A6&displaylang=en).  It worked!!

Another solution from "SVREP" (maybe a Service Representative at Sensible Solutions, developer of FastAccess) can be found at:  http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19305802/19599789.aspx#19599789

-- Note,  registering for an account at Dell (called "My Account") is most helpful since all other updates are listed there once you have identified your computer.

211 Posts

December 17th, 2009 09:00

*First reinstall fastaccess from disc on your win7 install.
After Installing Fast Access software on the system you will need to ::
1. Boot Windows 7 in Safe Mode
2. Right click the FA icon in system tray and select Disable FastAccess.
3. Reboot the system in normal mode.
4. Download and install the DWC (Dell Webcam) patch from:
5. After patch installation has completed, reboot the system.
6.Start ->All Programs->FastAccess Facial Recognition->Check for updates, to update FastAccess Facial Recognition.
7. This will run the updater and bring the user to FastAccess Facial Recognition 2.4.7 that supports Windows 7.
8. After all updates are completed, you will be able to Enable the fast access again.

Hope its helpful, that's what dell told me yesterday.

This is actually a version of the procedure that we gave to Dell for handling a very specific problem outlined in question #3 on this page:

http://www.sensiblevision.com/v/dell/win7.htm

If you're not experiencing that exact problem but instead just need to reinstall FastAccess, then there's likely no need to go through the Safe Mode steps. You should simply be able to re-install from the backup CD for FastAccess (call Dell tech support to request one if necessary), then go to the Windows Menu > All Programs > FastAccess facial recognition > "Check for updates" to get the most recent version (if required).

1 Message

December 17th, 2009 09:00

*First reinstall fastaccess from disc on your win7 install.
After Installing Fast Access software on the system you will need to ::
1. Boot Windows 7 in Safe Mode
2. Right click the FA icon in system tray and select Disable FastAccess.
3. Reboot the system in normal mode.
4. Download and install the DWC (Dell Webcam) patch from:
5. After patch installation has completed, reboot the system.
6.Start ->All Programs->FastAccess Facial Recognition->Check for updates, to update FastAccess Facial Recognition.
7. This will run the updater and bring the user to FastAccess Facial Recognition 2.4.7 that supports Windows 7.
8. After all updates are completed, you will be able to Enable the fast access again.

Hope its helpful, that's what dell told me yesterday.

February 9th, 2010 02:00

I meant msconfig.exe not sysconfig.exe. I dunno what I was thinkin when I typed that. My bad, sorry if anyone was tryin to figure out what the heck I was talkin about.

No Events found!