Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

March 20th, 2018 12:00

Smartbyte update from Dell fails -- driver not signed

In case it matters, I have an Inspiron 15 5000 (specifically, 5567), less than six months old, running Windows 10. This morning I got a notification that a Dell update needed to be installed. When I clicked "Details," the only thing it said was "Smartbyte" (which, if you ask me, is not much in the way of details). When I clicked "Install," after a few minutes, I got the message shown below, beginning "A digitally signed driver is required." I'm pretty sure that this is caused by the update, because a Google search tells me that Rivet Networks is the manufacturer of Smartbyte.

To me, what this means is that Dell is sending out an update containing software that is incompatible with Windows 10. What I'd really like to do is to notify Dell about this, but I couldn't figure out how. Does anyone know if you can just plain send a letter to their tech support people? The only thing I could find was a phone number and I don't want to spend any time on the phone because I don't need any help.

Anyway, if you are having this problem, now you know that you are not alone.

It might be possible for me to figure out how to install this update myself, but I am not even going to try, because, frankly, it was not my idea to install it in the first place.

image.png

June 27th, 2018 03:00

Be glad. This software causes an audio issue on many Dell Inspiron 15 7000 gaming computers.

Do not install SmartByte. If you already have it, turn it off.

No Events found!