Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2009 19:00

XPSM140 trouble with Help and Support, System Restore and Internet

The following is happening with my Dell XPS M140:

-When I go to Help and Support, I get this message: "Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support.'"

-When I go to System Restore, I get this message: "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again." No matter how many times I restart my computer and run System Restore again, it just gives me this message again.

-Instead of a Local Area Connection with the little computer icon and the waves, the wireless connection is being managed by something that looks like a clamshell icon, colored green, and when I click on it, it says Open Intel PROSet/Wireless. It says I'm connected to the right profile, but I'm not - it can't open any browser. There is no problem connecting to our system wirelessly from other computers in our home. Help!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 8th, 2009 20:00

When System Restore becomes corrupted as yours has, it's useless. The only cure is to turn it off by unchecking it on all drives, reboot and turn it back on. All restore points are cleared out and it will start creating new ones. Your wireless is being controlled by Intel Proset Utility. To switch back to Windows Wireless, right click on the clamshell and select Let Windows manage my wireless.

No Events found!