Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 17th, 2008 07:00

missing windows xp product key

To all,

I am helping a friend reformat her Dell desktop, about 5 years old. Have backed up everything, she has all the original disks, but no product key. I tried a few keyfinder programs, but not sure if its giving me the real windows one, and don't want to wipe her hard drive only to find  can't re-install windows. I am not that computer literate, but have muddled thru my own reformats. Any one know of any options for me

thanks amillion

6.4K Posts

November 17th, 2008 08:00

I don't think there is a need to worry about an attempt to reinstall.  If setup is going to ask for a code you will get the request before anything is done to the hard drive.  If you get to the point that setup is asking you about partitions and haven't seen the request for a COA, you're not going to get asked.

6 Posts

well, there's at least three of you who agree on that. Just tryiing to do her a favor and want to make sure i don't leave totally PCless, as opposed to what she has now. (works when it wants to)

I appreciat e all the QUICK help in here form everyone. guess i'll go for and close htis thread out.

anyone care to tell me how i close it out!

thanks

MD

806 Posts

you are correct. if you use a dell OS disc on a dell system you do not need the product key.

6.4K Posts

Edit:  Late again, I see.  Sorry Alexandra!

If you had mentioned the computer model and operating system I would be a bit more confident in my advice, but I'm going to assume your friend is using Windows XP.  If that is the case, reinstallation does not normally require the key.  Dell has been using a bios key for at least six years so that when you boot from the CD and accept the license agreement your installation is automatically certified.  You shouldn't even see a request for the COA code.

If you are using something like Magic Jelly Bean to find the product code and are worried that it doesn't match the COA sticker on the computer, don't worry.  Dell uses a volume license to prepare the hard drive before shipment and this will practically never be the same as the characters on the sticker.

6 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't planning on hitting the forums, so i don't have all the info in front of me. It is a dell desktop with XP.

I may wait to try the reformat till i can get the info and post it so someone can verify that i don't need the key.

thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

MD:   You shouldn't need to enter a key.   Dell OS disks are pre-keyed to the Dell BIOS and should automatically activate.

However, there should be a Windows sticker somewhere on the case with the key for that particular machine.

EDIT:  Dell's XP reinstall guide is pretty decent, especially regarding drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=45FAC9DF3456B193E040A68F5A285493&doclang=en&cs

6 Posts

Hmmn, that sounds good. I'm having her check the case for a label.  thanks for the reply

2 Posts

If your friend registered her copy of XP with Microsoft you may be able to get the product key from them by giving them her name, address, phone etc.  Other than that you can purchase a retail copy of the operating system.

6 Posts

thanks, I'll ask her, but i doubt she did. I did a little deeper searching on the forums and it sounds like there is a possibility that since she is using the original dell installation disks, i may not need the key at all. I just don't want to find out after its too late.

thanks again

6.4K Posts

Afraid all that happens is that posts stop.  The thread will be left up for posterity, something that is very helpful on occasion.  Anyone else having the same question can find the answer by searching the forum instead of being forced to ask a new question.

Best of luck to you!

4.6K Posts

November 17th, 2008 09:00

Use MS Key Viewer Plus (free) to find out the key :emotion-5:

6 Posts

November 20th, 2008 10:00

To all,

Thanks for all your help. I didn't need the key after all, and yes, i found it on the case. Reformat and reload of windows went fine. was still missing some drivers for network. Dell driver cd didn't seem to have it. but was able to bring it to job and our IT guy loaded me up. Good to go!

WOOHOO:emotion-1:

thanks again for all the help

MD

3 Posts

November 20th, 2008 10:00

You need to change your boot sequence before attempting the reinstall.  When you splash screen comes up look in the right hand corner.  It's either F2 or F12.  Change it so it boots to your cd drive first.  Then on startup it will start to the reinstall only after it asks you a few questions.  Make sure you do the dell tools and drivers first or it will not go as smoothly.  Hope this helps.

6.4K Posts

November 20th, 2008 11:00

You are more than welcome.  Good luck to you!

January 4th, 2009 04:00

Guys, I have ran into the same problem.   Last night, out of nowhere my comp crashed.  Upon rebooting I repeatedly had some Windows Guardian thing keep coming up, which is obviously some type of virus (according to what I read online).  I have heard the best way to cure it, is to use Malwarebytes.   However the virus itself will not allow me to load or update any virus scan program. 

So here's my dilemma.   My Dell is about 4 years old and is now my second computer.  I still have all my original discs, but I can not find any product key.   Right now I am at work, so I just called my wife to check the PC for any sticker with a product key (as mentioned above).   But beyond that, if I can't find one on the PC, will I have to buy a new copy of XP?    See, I noticed someone said if I am using the dell reinstall cds and a Dell PC, it won't even ask for the Product Key... but it did.   

But I think I am doing it wrong anyway.  My wife loaded the reinstall disc last night and went to reinstall.. we were adv by prompts to shut down the PC and boot from the disc itself.   How do I do that? 

Chris

---EDIT---

My wife did find the product key on the case (Thanks Guys!).   However, I still do not know how to boot from disc.  

No Events found!