Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2008 01:00

newbie, but can't seem to find the right place to post or search for Qs already asked!

hi -- i apologize if these Qs have been asked/answered before, but --

(1) i can't seem to find a way here to search any individual forum, or all of them, for a specific Q and/or a specific answer.  the "search" function brings back way too many items.  see example in (2).

(2)  for example, i can't seem to get into "live chat" b/c my computer was bought thru "home and small office," and i do not have a company name.  there doesn't seem to be a way to get to plain-old-consumer live chat, if there is one.  but when i do a search here for "live chat" WITH consumer, i get hundreds of items, which is obviously not practical.

(2) i can't even figure out what forum i would ask (1) or (2) in.  what do i do then?  is there some sort of index feature that has more than the most generic entries?

(3) here's another Q i can't figure out where to ask or where the info would be.  when you get a response to a forum Q that you posted, do you get an e-mail or what?  or do you just have to look thru the forum everyday to find your original post?

(4) and here's one more Q.  how do i find my way around the manuals, which evidently we don't get to have hard copies of anymore?  i know how to find them on-line, but the index is way too generic, and i seem to stumble on answers strictly by accident.  thanks very much if anyone can help me.  actually i love my computer, but getting help with it seems to be more difficult than necessary.

is there some way i can fuss at dell about these things, or do i just hope that the other users will be able to help me?  i am very frustrated at this whole "help" problem.     

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 27th, 2008 05:00

susizmargaret,

1) Search has been a problem with the new forums. Did you try searching in the ipper left corner, then when you do the initial search, then click on more search options in the bottom left corner?

2) Live chat. What happens when you click on Live Chat at the top left corner of the page? http://support.dell.com/

3) Forums can be found here. http://en.community.dell.com/forums/default.aspx?GroupID=9 and as for email notifications, as long as the box is selected to email me replies to this post is checked, you should get an email notification.

4) Manuals can be very helpful. The forums are made of people like you and me, some ask and others help. Together everyone learns and helps others. Like one big family. What one person doesn't know, someone else might.

Please feel free to ask questions and if we can't find the answer, we'll point you in the right direction so you can get your question/issues resolved.

Rick

December 27th, 2008 14:00

hi, rick --

(1) i've done the lefthand search, then the "search," then the "more search options" search.  i guess part of the problem is that i can't think of any way to narrow the results that come back with searching for ("live chat" consumer).  any suggestions?

(2) my experiences with live chat have been a disaster.  i can send you a transcript of my latest encounter, but i'm sure you don't want to see it.  basically, what happens is i click on "live chat," it asks for my service tag number, i give it, it takes me to a page that demands "company name" and won't go anywhere till it gets one (finally i resorted to typing "none" for company name), then i get in, then the support agent tells me that i am registered as a "consumer" computer and that this is the "business" live chat (or something "non-consumer," anyway), the agent says s/he will transfer me.  if i get transferred at all (i have been sent to someone else, but i have also given up at about 15 mins), i am sent to another agent who tells me that i am not in the "consumer" live chat, then transfers me again, after which i am still in "non-consumer" and finally give up.  so -- where can i start that identifies me as a "consumer" first and doesn't force me to go thru the wrong/"business" queue to get to "live chat"?  

(3) i do remember checking "e-mail me with replies" but now i can't find it anywhere on any page to uncheck -- no, no -- stupid me.  now i see the check/uncheck box at the bottom of this (reply) page.  do i gather that if i uncheck it on THIS page, i'll never find any replies to my original post and your subsequent one) again unless i specifically search for them somehow?  is there a way to check it for replies ONLY to my post, or do i always get replies to all posts in this forum?  i went to my "profile," but when i clicked on edit, i keep getting "not processed!" or something like that, it won't ever take me to a place where i can edit.  i can see my public profile but not get into editing it.

i am very, very grateful for your response.  i'm leaving the "e-mail me about replies" checked for now so i can at least see responses to my original post thru my e-mail, without having to search thru the forums entries.

i apologize profusely for the length of this reply and of my original post.  i have been brought both to tears and to my knees by these events!

-- susie margaret 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 27th, 2008 15:00

susiemargaret,

Let keep it simple. Tell me what your problem is without giving any service tag numbers, order numbers, etc. Make and model of computer, operating system and what the problem is. I will see what I can do to help you get the situation corrected. I have a few friends that can help you. Make sure to expand user panel and make sure to edit your profile. Make sure to put your service tag number there, so the person(s) that help you(from Dell) can see the service tag information and correct the information.

Unchecking the email me replies box and you will NOT get any emails when someone replies.

Rick

hi --

it is a dell optiplex 330.

it is running XP.

problem (1) i can't get into dell live chat for "consumers" instead of "not consumers."

problem (2) on this site, i can't get into "edit my profile."

thanks.  i will go ahead and expand the panels you listed.

-- susie margaret

hi again -- thank you so much for bein

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 27th, 2008 17:00

susiemargaret,

I have contacted someone from Dell, but you'll need to be a little patient, since they won't be in until Monday, unless they log in on their own time.

Here is a list of the forums that we have. Since you didn't state anything except that you cannot get into Live chat, then I would just sit tight and wait. If your computer has a virus, problem, etc..., there are many people in the Dell Community, just like you and me, that can help you get a problem straightened out with your computer and they will walk you through the process. I usually help people with the inkjet printers(All-In-Ones) but I also float around and try to help, if I know the answer.

To have thing work on this forum, we found out that you need to run either Internet Explorer and/or Mozilla Firefox with the IE Tab function running(making it just like you're using Internet Explorer). The forums are still having posting problems and we are trying to persevere with this until it's fixed.

Expand User panel, click on edit profile. Then fill in the information you need there, especiall the service tag number, then scroll to the bottom and cllick on save. The person(s) from Dell are the only people that can see the number besides yourself. They will be able to help you with the service tag problem.

Any questions, I still have this post monitored with email notifications.

Rick

December 29th, 2008 09:00

hi, rick --

you are an awfully nice person.  thank you for being so patient, and responsive, with my obviously confused posts.

-- susie margaret

December 29th, 2008 13:00

Hi susiemargaret,

If you still need help, please message me with your Dell order number.  I am happy to help any way I can.

Sincerely,

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 16:00

susiemaragret,

To send Dell-Debbie a private message, do this.

Click on contact, under her post. The click on start a conversation with Dell-Debbie G (The send Dell-Debbie G an email function has been broken at day 1 the forums started and all it gives you is a blank screen. It needs fixed but we want them to fix the posting issue, first) You will be able to send her the information needed, she'll take real good care of you. :emotion-21: :emotion-5: Debbie took care of my account a while back and it got frustrating for a little while, but they finally got everything back to normal.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 16:00

susiemaragret,

To send Dell-Debbie a private message, do this.

Click on contact, under her post. The click on start a conversation with Dell-Debbie G (The send Dell-Debbie G an email function has been broken at day 1 the forums started and all it gives you is a blank screen. It needs fixed but we want them to fix the posting issue, first) You will be able to send her the information needed, she'll take real good care of you. :emotion-21: :emotion-5: Debbie took care of my account a while back and it got frustrating for a little while, but they finally got everything back to normal.

Rick

January 4th, 2009 14:00

hi, rick --

you have been very kind to me, and i appreciate it tremendously.  please know that i am grateful for the time and energy you have put into helping me!

i clicked on "contact" for dell-debbie g, then on "start a conversation."  this brought up a screen that said she did not accept conversations except from friends and that i had to make a friend request.  so i did and sent it to her; this must have been jan 2?

so i guess i just wait to see if/till she responds?  i'm not being impatient -- i'm just keeping you up to date!

-- susie margaret

PS -- i'm not sure if i'm supposed to include info on what model i have, internet browser, etc., so here it is -- i guess if i'm prohibited from putting in this info, someone will edit it out?

dell optiplex 330
windows XP pro, SP 3, 32-bit
IE, v. 7.0.5730.13
internet security 2009, v. 16.2.0.7
add-on pack, v. 3.1.0.8
systemworks basic 2009, v. 12.0.1

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 4th, 2009 14:00

susiemargaret,

I know some people have opted for this option, I am one of them. Some people try to get you to help them, when the forums are for this purpose. I really didn't mind having people send me a message, but when all they want is help, it's better on the forums. It helps to cut down on the emails from people. Debbie will most likely respond on Monday, when she comes back to work.

Rick

January 27th, 2009 22:00

\hi again

January 27th, 2009 22:00

hi, rick -- i just wanted to thank you again for connecting me with debbie.  she has been extremely gracious and conscientious about working with my "live chat" difficulties.  you are a valuable resource on these forums -- susie margaret 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 27th, 2009 23:00

susiemargaret,

You are very Welcome. I do enjoy helping others. I have also asked for help and other members have helped me, so it works both ways. I found that everyone here is very nice with trying to help others. I have a fair amount of knowledge, for my age. When I first got a computer, I learned that if I wasn't sure to ask a few people and then I had to figure out which people were leading me in the right direction. I have learned much by asking questions. By the time I learn everything, I'll be retiring, I hope, sooner if I hit the powerball, LOL. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask, I don't mind. And if I don't know the answer, I'll try to find someone that knows.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!