Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

May 19th, 2020 09:00

AC power not auto-starting Optiplex 7020

Hi, I am setting up an old Optiplex 7020 SFF in an arcade project, and I want the pc to power on automatically when the AC power is turned on. I changed the BIOS accordingly (to turn on when AC power goes on, not to revert to the previous state). When the PC is on and turn AC power off then on, the PC restarts automatically. However when the PC is powered down, and then the AC power is toggled off/on, the PC doesn't go on. Any ideas? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 19th, 2020 10:00

Ac recovery only works when it loses power instead of being shut down.  If you want auto start you setup a time when the system turns power on and which days per week.

Thats in bios under auto power on time.  I set remote systems to have auto start time and ac recovery so that I don't have to go and reboot them if they crash.  I set the auto power on time to corespond with the idle time aka starting at 3:00AM.  The other Thing I do for troublesome systems is put them on a lamp timer that cuts the power to them at 1:00AM for 1 hour.

That way if it locked it will recover again so that I don't have to drive out to remote site and reboot it.

May 19th, 2020 22:00

Thanks @speedstep. I'm looking to keep the pc in a concealed cabinet (arcade machine), and therefore am looking for a way to power it on at the mains not just in the event of a power loss but also after a shutdown. Is there no way to do this? Based on what you said I'm a bit confused about the bios settings. Ac recovery has 3 option when ac power is restored. 1. Power off 2. Power on 3. Return to previous state. If as you say the pc only powers on after a power loss even if 2. Is selected, than in what way would 2 differ from 3?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 20th, 2020 04:00

There are 2 bios settings that are not in the same sub menu.

AC power recovery

Turn on at specifc time of day.

There are ZERO settings that say turn on no matter what if power is applied.

AC power recovery does not do anything if the machine is shut down normally.

if the machine is on a timer that controls the mains you can have it shut power off at specific time when it should be idle.  That way you know its not shut down properly and you know its restarted.  I do this at 1am because I want windows updates to start at 3am.

If it hangs and never finishes it restarts due to power loss at 1am the next day.

The timer that controls power to the machine is mechanical and rotates every 24 hours shutting off 1 hour per day.  This also has nothing to do with bios.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermatic-15-Amp-24-Hour-Outdoor-Plug-In-Heavy-Duty-Timer-Black-HB11KD89/205478787

No Events found!