Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

August 16th, 2018 13:00

Can I install Audigy 2 CA0102-ICT in a Dell Optiplex?

I have an old Dell Dimension with an Audigy 2 CA0102-ICT sound card and an ATI - Radeon Graphics Card PN109-A32100-00 which I googled to give me the name Radeon Saphire X800GT and I have recently bought an old Dell Optiplex with an i7 quad core processor which I want to fool around with really. Can I install these in the Optiplex. I was really interested in Computers a long time ago and had to take a different direction in my life so I'm trying to get back into I something I was passionate about so please forgive any dumb questions, I'm a complete beginner. Also, how would I find out about what is compatible and what's not, other than contacting a forum that is?

I plan to put in a Nvidia GTX 970, a corsair 500W ATX and a USB 3.0 PCI card at a later stage (I'd love to get it to a stage where I could use an Oculus Rift for War Thunder) but for now I just want to practice some installations and modifications. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2018 14:00

I say try it and learn what works. However, for most uses, on-board audio is fine and most are using USB and HDMI (on video-card itself) for audio now-days.

Reminds me of this project:

https://www.dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/td-p/6054983

I say keep the cheap and free machines running (even if in secondary positions). Spend your money on nice-new machines more "current-tech" upgrades.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 16th, 2018 14:00

The Audigy 2 is PCI 2.0  not Universal PCI 2.2 +

So its not likely to work.

The X800 is AGP and so this is also not likely to work.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 16th, 2018 15:00

@speedstep wrote:

The X800 is AGP and so this is also not likely to work.

Mine was the All-In-Wonder version of the X800. Man, the ATI driver-and-apps suite for that thing was a bear to install and get working 100% perfect, but it WAS pretty cool for the time (analog video, NTSC, and all that). It eventually died. :Crying:

And like a crazy-person, I bought a newer-model ATI card. :Smile:

But I never managed to get the Video-Toaster for my Amiga. But talk about awesome computers ahead of their time.  :Cool:

205 Posts

August 16th, 2018 16:00

I had one of, if not the last, ATI All in Wonder cards and I think it was based on the high-end (at the time) X1900 (I think there was an HD 3XXX version, but it was mid-range for its product line) - I loved those things as I used to game on it and also record all kinds of stuff off the TV and from other sources - this was just before iPhones took over, maybe a year before in 2006.

But man, AGP? That's old school and I don't think I ever owned an AIW from that era - the X1800XL (which died) and then the X1900 was about it.

No Events found!