Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 17th, 2018 07:00

Dell Optiplex 980 Flashing Error Lights

My friend and I are attempting to take a school computer (Dell Optiplex 980), and using our HDD, GPU, and PSU, take it to a competition for video editing. All of our components work, but we're still getting a flashing 3 4 lights when turning it on. We've taken RAM from another Optiplex 980 that we know works, but still it doesn't work. We're thinking it's the motherboard, and have found a cheap one to replace it, but we were wondering if there is anything else we can try before buying it. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 17th, 2018 08:00

Lights 3&4 is shown as memory problem.  But, since you have used memory from a working 980 and it still does not work, that points to likely motherboard problem.  Because of the proprietary motherboard, connections, case, etc, anything other than another 980 likely will not fit or have the correct front panel connections.

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 08:00

blindseal,

The 3,4 diagnostic leds would mean the following issues. If you remove the memory from the computer do you get any beep codes? If not, the MB is possibly dead.

Memory modules are detected, but a memory power failure has occurred.
  • If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules, then reinstall one module and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error. If only one memory module is installed, try moving it to a different DIMM connector and restart the computer.
  • If available, install verified working memory of the same type into your computer.

12 Posts

April 17th, 2018 10:00

We've tried it with and without ram. I figured it was the motherboard. Thanks for the confirmation guys!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 17th, 2018 11:00

@blindsealwrote:
We've tried it with and without ram. I figured it was the motherboard. Thanks for the confirmation guys!

Maybe politely request the school for a working one, so you can complete your project. Maybe the instructor can help?

If you were in Texas, I would let you borrow a computer (or help you get a suitable one). :Smile:

12 Posts

April 17th, 2018 13:00

That was our backup plan but our instructor had a few broken ones lying around and using those would be a lot easier than trying to go use the working school PC's as they care more about them. So now we use the backup plan :BigSmile:

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

June 12th, 2024 18:36

Hello !

My name is (ASHAR ALI). I am using my pc Optiplex 980. I my normal life but one day when i am using my pc the electricity blink  and my pc shutdown when the electricity  come back i start my pc  have black screen and showing error of light bliking of  2,3,4. I check it in internet it was the bio delete problem. 2 or 3 day later I gone to some expert of hard were he say i will check wait several minute  I will  say it is the bio problem he say no I will check I am say ok after 2 or 3 horse later he say it is big problem i do not fix if. i say what whin i will check the pc error light was change no it was 1 or 2 i will check in internet it was the motherboard problem. i can not afford another pc, please help me.  I

am O level student. i use it for study.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

June 13th, 2024 03:15

What is your current error code, 1-2 or 2-3-4?

Try changing the size 2032 CMOS battery (on the motherboard) and How to Perform a BIOS or CMOS Reset and Clear the NVRAM on Dell Computers.

No Events found!