Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

T

11 Posts

March 8th, 2023 15:00

Dell Optiplex Micro 5000 & Memory upgrade

Hello,

I purchased a Dell Optiplex Micro 5000 computer which came with a SK Hynix SODIMM 8GB (HMAA1GS6CJR6N) memory module. I am looking to add another 8GB of RAM, but the same memory module is difficult to obtain in my location. I have found a potential Hynix module (HMA81GS6DJR8N), but there are some differences between the two modules. The Dell module has x16 organization (all chips on one side) and uses a "c-die", while the potential module has an x8 organization (chips on both sides) and presumably uses a "d-die".

I am aware that Crucial memory modules are recommended for the MFF 5000; they also have chips on both sides. However, I have a few questions:

1. Would it be better to use a Hynix module, even if it has a slightly different configuration? Or is there a higher chance of the Crucial module working?
  2. Do memory modules with different dies work differently?
  3. Has anyone used specific memory modules (other than Crucial or SK Hynix) that have worked?

Thanks for any advice or input.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 9th, 2023 09:00

Ideally, you would install a matched pair of two x 8 GB DDR4-3200. That has the greatest chance of success.

You could try to add a second 8 GB stick of the same specifications, buying the same speed and timings even if not the same brand. It may work. But, sometimes mismatched RAM brands/models may not play well together, which is why a matched pair is recommended.

Try to buy from a vendor that will allow you to return the RAM if it doesn't work.

Follow the disassembly and reassembly steps in Dell's Service Manual.

Whenever touching components or working inside a computer, wear a grounded wrist strap, also called anti-static wrist strap, ESD wrist strap, or ground bracelet. It's a cheap and sensible precaution. Rest the laptop on an anti-static mat or at least a reasonable alternative such as corrugated cardboard.

11 Posts

March 25th, 2023 03:00

OK.  Here are my findings regarding this issue:

The Dells are known to be finicky about memory modules, which is why finding an unknown memory module for it is chancy.  When asked about this topic in Dell's community, long-standing members normally recommend the Crucial memory modules, which in the US, have warranties that they work with Dell.

Kingston also has specific web pages dedicated to Dell's products as well, including the Optiplex Micro 5000.

My Optiplex comes with an 8GB SK Hynix HMAA1GS6CJR6N, which has 16 chips on one side, speced to come from a "c-die".

Hynix' website (https://product.skhynix.com/products/dram/module/sodimm.go) indicates 2 more memory modules (with with C-die, and another D-die) with the same timings, both have 8 chips on both sides of the module.

I ended up buying another memory module from a trusted general computer dealer (with a LT warranty from the dealer) with the module number HMA81GS6AFR8N-VK (with A-Die), which is no longer listed on Hynix' website, but probably was (indicated by google search linking to a non-existent page).  This works perfectly well.

Advice Hynix Mem 8GB - Screenshot 2023-03-25 164937.jpg

I speculate that probably all the Hynix's modules still listed on the website would work as well.

It's noteworthy that although Dell lists specific memory configurations, some configurations that are not listed would work as well, such as adding 4GB to the existing 8GB, as an IT person on this forum mentioned that's what he did for the company's computers.  In other posts, some people are able to exceed Dell's configuration in term of max memory.  This is of course, all speculations/experimentations.  It's better to live in a country where you can actually return the memory module that doesn't work out. 

11 Posts

March 13th, 2023 21:00

Thanks for responding!  I'll try to resolve my issues and get back to you.

• 

25.7K Posts

March 26th, 2023 09:00

Thank you for messaging us. To ensure the privacy of your information, we recommend that you continue chatting with us through direct message. We apologize for the inconvenience.

No Events found!