Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 30th, 2020 16:00

Dell optiplex 790 UEFI file system not found error

I recently got this pc and put a windows 10 HDD in it, it booted fine and all but later I wanted to install linux on my second HDD, I made a bootable usb stick and went to the bios to change it to boot first and I noticed it was in legacy mode , I did not care till I cant get the usb stick to boot and once I changed it to UEFI mode I see no options so I try to add some but it gave me the "FILE SYSTEM NOT FOUND" error . So I did some tutorial on how to fix it but none work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 05:00

Class 1 UEFI Bios does not have GPT or Secure boot and never will.

UEFI BIOS CLASSESUEFI BIOS CLASSES

Its MBR legacy only.  The 790 has class 1 Bios.

Class 2.3.1 UEFI bios is required for GPT UEFI Secure boot.

New systems are class 3 bios with no legacy booting of anything.

Intel will be only supporting UEFI Class 3, which means no legacy support of CSM.  It also means windows 10 only and 64 bit only from now on.

The 790 allows legacy as well as 32 bit windows xp and therefore will never have secure boot due to lacking ACPI 2.0 and UEFI 2.3.1

Firmware that meets the UEFI 2.3.1 specifications

Secure boot certificates cannot be added as a bios update by end users.

Only OEM's can do that.

is required for Windows 10 security features like Secure Boot, Windows Defender Credential Guard, and Windows Defender Exploit Guard.

Platform firmware must ensure that operating system physical memory is consistent across S4 sleep state transitions, in both size and location. Operating system physical memory is defined according to the ACPI 3.0 specification.

Class 2.3.1 UEFI BIOS must have windows key built in and must be digitally signed with a Windows, WHQL, ELAM, or Store certificate (WHQL 64 bit).

http://www.uefi.org/sites/default/files/resources/2.3.1_D.pdf

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 5th, 2020 06:00

windows 7 cannot remove windows 10 MSR GPT or UEFI .

You will have to use DBAN or Diskpart to CLEAN ALL Drives blank.

Installing AHCI or ATA in legacy MBR mode will allow windows 7 to be installed and boot.

You then INSTALL LINUX Alongside windows.

You can do the same with 10 but you also have to clean the drives and remove the MSR and GPT partitions on all drives.

Windows 7 and 8 and 10 work fine on the 790 but there are no win10 drivers so you use vista or win7 WDDM drivers and Linux in legacy mode.

You then

windows 7 cannot remove windows 10 MSR or UEFI .

You will have to use DBAN or Diskpart to CLEAN ALL Drives blank.

Installing AHCI or ATA in legacy MBR mode will allow windows 7 to be installed and boot.

You then INSTALL LINUX Alongside windows.

You can do the same with 10 but you also have to clean the drives and remove the MSR and GPT partitions on all drives.

You can also install 10 in legacy MBR mode and again Linux ALONGSIDE windows. install 10 in legacy MBR mode and again Linux ALONGSIDE windows.

Lastly you can make a usb2 Live Linux pen drive with Casper persistence and it will F12 boot on the 790 just fine.

You can also F12 boot a linux dvd live.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubuntu-18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso

ISBN-13: 978-0134985466  this book comes with commercial dvd that you can boot from as well as a lot of documentation

January 4th, 2021 19:00

it was the mobo. I was finally able to use uefi after a new mobo. plus the old mobo had so many problems i did not realize till they appeared. I'll list them all

1. FILE SYSTEM NOT FOUND( this forum)

2. ram did not go over 8.0gb even after installing 12gb

3. intel me stopped working. this caused the pc to cut off every 30 mins.

4. the dedicated gpu even went out

rule of thumb. don't be slow on finding the problems on a pc. one event can lead to an other 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 1st, 2020 14:00

I don't know how well Linux works with Legacy, but here's what I do know:

Starting with your Win10 drive or a fresh drive, do a fresh Win10 install with BIOS in UEFI mode.  Then make your bootable flash drive with Linux.

If a Win10 drive was loaded in Legacy mode, UEFI mode won't find it, and vice-versa.

Whatever may have been wrong or not with your bootable flash drive, either way, the same concept may apply.

Either on your current drive in Legacy mode or fresh Win10 install in UEFI mode, be sure to have the latest BIOS for your 790.  This may help when trying boot from or install Linux on secondary drive.

When you install Linux on secondary drive, you might need your Win10 drive unplugged to do so.

Is your secondary drive partitioned?  A non-partitioned drive won't take anything.  If it was partioned in Legacy mode, be sure to repartition in Win10 while in UEFI mode.

August 1st, 2020 21:00

I have the latest bios driver (a22) and I cant get the usb to start at all with legacy stuff or uefi I had this for my last pc and it works fine. And I pretty much installed windows 7 to it (using the tool)that no work either

August 1st, 2020 22:00

I cant do that my optiplex's bios does not detect anything in uefi and no usb in legacy 

• 

25.7K Posts

August 1st, 2020 22:00

Hi,

Check if this article, provides information about how to install Ubuntu onto your Dell PC in addition to an existing Windows (8, 8.1, or 10) operating system.

https://dell.to/2XjcaIF

-Farooq

• 

25.7K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 00:00

Windows Setup is supposed to handle registering the newly installed Windows environment into the UEFI firmware. Since that doesn’t seem to be happening, try these things:

- Enable Secure Boot to make sure you’re booting your Windows install media in UEFI mode.

- When you get to the point in Windows Setup where you select where to install it, make sure the entire target disk is shown as unallocated space, with no existing partitions. If you see partitions, delete them so that Windows installs onto an empty disk and can create the desired partitions appropriately.

If you still can’t get it working, does the bootable device appear in the F12 one-time boot menu? That list is dynamically generated rather than relying on registration, so it should be listed there as long as Windows installed properly? If so, you can manually add a boot entry even though you shouldn’t have to. You’d want to point it to the \EFI\Boot\Bootmgfw.efi file on the SSD’s EFI partition. You should be able to browse to that file in the Add Boot Option interface.

August 2nd, 2020 08:00

So the short answer is I'm stuck like this ?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 11:00

On the 790, it sounds like you're stuck if you can't load Win10 in UEFI mode.  Or your BIOS may simply not be cooperating.

In short answers, you said things didn't work, but not exactly what you tried.  Like did you try a fresh Win10 install in UEFI mode, on current HDD or a fresh one?  What errors are you getting?  You did mention an error in your first post.

Something a little newer might be a better bet, like a refurb 7010/7020/9010/9020 that already has Win10 in UEFI mode.  There's 3010/3020, which aren't quite as expandable hardware wise, but the bargains on ebay are good.  Amazon is a little higher with calling them "renewed."

I tried to get linux on my pc (my Main goal now) uefi or not , still no luck I can get the installer to run with the setup application but after that it ask for CD rom so idk.

I've installed windows 7 on my second HDD to see if that would help but no luck, the error is when I turn the bios to uefi mode then go to add options since their is none it says "error no file system found"

August 2nd, 2020 12:00

UPDATE

I found a page that seems it might work

it is about installing x64 uefi windows 7, luckily I still have the windows 7 iso and usb tool

ill say if it does or not

August 2nd, 2020 16:00

Yeah I'm still stuck 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2020 18:00

"I've installed windows 7 on my second HDD to see if that would help but no luck, the error is when I turn the bios to uefi mode then go to add options since their is none it says "error no file system found""

So how come you didn't try loading Win7 or 10 while in UEFI mode?

Also, I'm sure you know Win7 is EOL.  As reported by other users, one can't even use Dell Support Assist or download drivers from Dell site with Win7.  It'll just say "incompatible operating system."  I can see why you tried it though.

In UEFI mode for Boot Sequence, it just shows "Windows Boot Manager" or nothing?  While Legacy mode lists all possible boot devices, UEFI is more automated.  So unless you have Win10 loaded while in UEFI mode, it'll probably show nothing.

So lets say you have Win10 (or 7) (UEFI) on your PC and you want to boot from a flash drive instead.  Upon turning on PC and seeing Dell splash screen, press F12 for the boot menu.  Select boot device.

No Events found!