Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2020 12:00

Do I need an HDMI capture Card?

I am lost. I purchased this computer. My goal is to stream video from my camera to my computer so I can use LinkedIn live or Zoom. I don't want to use my webcam as the video is not every flattering.

My understanding was that all I had to do was run a cable from the camera to the computer. Now I am hearing a completely different story. 

I have a  DELL 3040 SFF. Does the HDMI port accept input from a camera (live video) or do I still need an HDMI capture card?

Also I am not being told that I need OBS streaming software and a mixer. This is becoming WAY to complex, time consuming, and expensive. 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 14:00

From what little I saw of it today (it's new to me too), an audio mixer comes with the software.  Shouldn't need it if you don't want to use it.  It's probably for mixing from multi sources, may be whether it be multi instruments or audio sources from home/business or mixing audio from others streaming with you.

May 22nd, 2020 13:00

You know when I was making my purchasing decisions, I asked a zillion questions. NO one mentioned this. It is disappointing to discover at the 11th hour that I am going to have to spendeven MORE money. 

Is there anything else I need?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 13:00

HDMI on PC is output only, so yes, you'd need an HDMI capture card, either internal or USB.  I would think USB version be handier.  I've never bought one, but I would think that it would come with any necessary software.  Or at the very least, where to download the software from.

Thank you, I did download the OBS software. I hope I don't need a mixer. They are very expensive. 

My Optiplex is  DELL 3040 SFF

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

Do you already have the cable you need to go from cam to HDMI?

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

Looking in from Google, there's YouTube videos on the subject too.

I will definitely leave the kudos and resolved.

No I still have to buy the cable and a new camera but now people are talking about OBS streaming software and mixers. It's beginning to get complicated. I want to make sure that I am not going to find that there is even more to get. I am already 33% over budget with just the computers and I can't keep just spending and spending. 

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

As mentioned, the capture card should come with any needed software.  Otherwise, how will the pc recognize it?  Hopefully the "mixer" part doesn't get to you.  If you don't need it, you shouldn't have to use it.

As for streaming, I just Googled OBS software.  It's free.  Between the website and Google, any questions you have about it should be answered.

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 15:00

Also, you're welcome and thanks for all the unexpected kudos.

No Events found!