Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 23rd, 2021 07:00

Intel Boot Agent doesn't allow to enter the BIOS

I have an Opti 790 SFF that after changing the disk for an SSD started to boot with the Intel Boot Agent and then windows 7 of the SSD starts. The issue is that it doesn't allow to enter the BIOS with F2, nor does it recognize F12, I was remove the battery from motherboard and wait 10 minutes trying to reset the bios and nothing.
I was try to boot without perimetrals but nothing changed ... always the same sequence ----- DELL logo -> IBA -> SSD

How can I enter the bios again to deactivate the Intel Boot Agent ??? please Help

8 Posts

March 26th, 2021 09:00

Finally I solved the problem, Opti had old A08 BIOS and in unexpected circumstances it can automatically set "NIC boot image" by Intel Boot Agent in first boot option and also crash F2 and F12 when loading boot BIOS. I updated BIOS to version A10 and finally you can enter BIOS to disable IBA. 

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2021 18:00

Try replacing the battery with a new one if it's 5 or more years old.  Be sure to repeatedly press F2 as soon as you power on.  Don't wait for a keyboard light or Dell logo or anything like that.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 23rd, 2021 19:00

Either suggestion resets CMOS.  However, if the battery is bad, it won't do any good.  @Coldan did start on the right track with removing the battery for 10 min.

How to Perform a BIOS or CMOS Reset and Clear the NVRAM on Dell Systems 

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

March 23rd, 2021 19:00

try reset CMOs jumper which will help you clear cmos settings, then you should be able to press F2 to enter bios and delete NIC boot from boot options.

1. Turn off the computer and disconnect the power cable from the computer.
  2. Remove the computer cover.
  3. Locate the 2-pin password jumper labeled PSWD on the system board.(blue jumper in lower right corner)
  4. Remove the 2-pin jumper plug.
  5. Locate the 2-pin CMOS jumper labeled RTCRST on the system board.(right next to blue jumper with RTCRST print on board)
  6. Move the 2-pin jumper plug from the password jumper to the pins on the CMOS jumper.
  7. Plug the power cable to the computer and wait for 10 seconds for the CMOS to clear.
  8. Disconnect the power cable from the computer
  9. Move the 2-pin jumper plug back to the password jumper.

redxps630_0-1616552104361.jpeg

The Intel® Boot Agent (IBA) is firmware in the Network Interface Card (NIC). The Intel® Boot Agent (IBA) allows your networked client computer to boot using an image on a remote server.  When the Intel Boot Agent (IBA) is ahead of any other bootable device in the list, it executes and tries to boot the computer over the network.

8 Posts

March 24th, 2021 08:00

I followed your step by step instructions but unfortunately it didn't work

8 Posts

March 24th, 2021 09:00

Now I'll try to remplace battery for new one...

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 24th, 2021 09:00

Shoot.  Does that mean the battery was also replaced?

8 Posts

March 25th, 2021 17:00

Now with new battery, the problem persist...

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

Did you reset CMOs jumper too?  New battery makes sure CMOs settings can be saved but does not by itself correct corrupted setting.  Remove battery for sufficiently long time will theoretically reset CMOs settings too if pc has no power cord connected, but the jumper method is a much faster shortcut.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

Do you still have your HDD that did work?  Either way, remove the SSD.  You should be able to access BIOS even with no bootable drive installed.  Can you now get into BIOS?  Load default settings and click apply/save.  Make sure it's also set to AHCI.  If your SSD still doesn't work...

You might have to load a new SSD, or try wiping the one that didn't work using your HDD with Win10 or 7 and disk management in Windows.  Reformatting it wipes it.

If you load SSD or a new one - In BIOS have Secure Boot off and Legacy Option ROMS on.  After it's loaded and working then go back to Legacy Option ROMS off and Secure Boot on.  Be sure SSD is formatted to NTFS.  Win10 will partition for you when loading.  I've only done a couple of Win10 loads and not sure if Win10 already does the NTFS formatting.  I formatted beforehand both times.  Wanted to make sure PC saw drive for loading.

When loading, be sure to have only the drive you want to load installed.

6 Professor

• 

7.3K Posts

March 26th, 2021 10:00

Glad you got it working!!   What a pain that must've been.

In the beginning, you weren't able to boot or get into BIOS.  So how you were you able to update it?  Put the previous bootable drive back in?

1 Message

April 26th, 2022 19:00

cannot access BIOS with drive remove, all says is no bootable device

No Events found!