Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

July 15th, 2018 04:00

No sound from speakers in 9020. Why ?

I have just got a 9020 and cannot get any sound from internal or external speakers.

I have tried many suggestions but so far no good.

I have done Dell Support Assistant tests but still no joy.

Bios and Audio drivers have been also updated.

It makes me think that maybe the mobo audio does not work or has not been connected correctly.

Any help please ?

oz

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 15th, 2018 07:00

There is no internal speaker.  Just what external "computer" speakers you connect.  Try a headset in the rear green speaker jack and see if there is any audio. 

Also check the Default audio playback device.  It should be set to "speakers" (the internal Realtek Sound).

And, it may be disabled in the BIOS (F2 Setup) if this is a used system, as the original owner may have disabled the sound since the OptiPlex line was intended for business use.

Here is the Realtek Driver from the Dell Downloads:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-9020-desktop/drivers

5 Posts

July 15th, 2018 10:00

Check to make sure you haven’t just muted the sound. Seriously. With many laptop and touch screen devices it is amazingly easy to make the wrong touch or keystroke and the system sound gets muted. Or just turned down really low.

The chances are that you have access to another device that will drive sound to your speakers or headphones. Try the new device with a pair of speakers or headphones that you know work. They work? Good, now try the speakers that aren’t working on that device. If they don’t work, then yes, chances are the problem is your speakers or headphones.

If they do work, then you need to look deeper into your original device and see if the problem lies there.

5 Posts

July 15th, 2018 10:00

install audio drivers. Install driver detector it will detect the hardware and install the drivers automaticaly.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

July 15th, 2018 16:00

Hi Rockstar,

Many thanks for the reply.

That makes sense then.. no speakers no sound however I have tried both powered speakers and headphones back an front.

I have another 9020 and there is a speaker in it, however both are from pre leases so they may have doctored that one.

I use that one with Cubase 9 and also for Magix Video Pro X video editing and it is great for both with externals.

I also use it with an external Addonics Tower with 4 drives in it.. Had to get a special card tho.

This  one is for our admin office replacing  a Dell  Opt 755 which I was having troubles when Win 10 1803 came down.

I have the new drivers, thanks for the link though,  and I have a Logitech C170 webcam fitted which uses its mic.

The mic works according to the meters as does Youtube when it is on but no sound emanates from anywhere.

I did notice that in the Sound Panel it only shows 1 jack boith for mic ans recording.  The test sound shows on the meter but no actual sound.

So it looks like the sound drivers are working but it either the onboard sound has not been connected to the jacks.

I have checked Bios and it is enabled.

A bit of a mystery!!

I see you are in Nashville. I lived there in the 70's for a few years, in fact started my computer life there on mainframes.

oz

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 16th, 2018 01:00

Web cams have been known to cause audio problems.  Disconnect the web cam and see if that makes any difference.  Also, did you check that the "speakers" are set as default playback device?  

My main recording studio DAW is Cakewalk Sonar.  I have an MOTU 896Mk3 Hybrid recording interface unit.

1 Rookie

• 

124 Posts

July 16th, 2018 23:00

Hi again,

Well after hours and hours of trying this'n'that I fecided to take the box back to the store so they could look at it.

My thoughts were that the Audio chip on the mobo was not connected to the jacks.

Well they were, however the Audio chip itself was no good.

They gave me a new box and all is good.

Many thanks for the help.

I will PM soon you about our intended Nashville visit later this year.

Good luck !

No Events found!