Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Posts

October 15th, 2020 21:00

OPTIPLEX XE2 FAILS TO START.

Hi I purchased a used Optiplex XE2. It worked very well for a short while, but now it won't start. The power supply is delivering all specified voltages, but when I power ON, I get a single beep tone every five (measured) seconds and the Power LED and the HDD LED comes ON for about half a second, then the Power LED goes to orange, then the cycle repeats. I am guessing it is not getting to the POST stage. Any suggestions welcome please.

Service tag

Cheers Ken

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 16th, 2020 07:00

1 beep is system (board (motherboard) CMOS/BIOS.

First step replace 2032 CMOS coin cell battery on motherboard.  Power off, disconnect AC power cord to power supply, Press power button for 10 seconds to drain any residual power.  Open case and locate the 2032 coin cell battery on the motherboard.  Remove battery, wait at least 5 minutes and then install the new battery.  Reconnect the AC power cord and try.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2020 09:00

Hi Fireberd
Thanks for that prompt response. I removed the CR2032 as you suggested, measured it and got 3.028 V, (no load) waited the >five minutes, and put it back in, as I don't have a new battery to hand. It's 3.30 AM here.

The machine came to life as soon as I put the power cord back in, the beeps have stopped, the green BIST LED is on continuously, the fans are running, the power LED is blinking orange two blinks then three blinks every five seconds. The machine does not respond to the BIST button or to the power button. The only way to turn it off is to disconnect the power cord.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated please.
Regards Ken

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

October 16th, 2020 15:00

Dell Diagnostic Indicators 

BIST Test YouTube  Not my favorite video anymore, but it works.

From the diagnostic indicators:

2 blinks followed by a short pause, 3 blinks, long pause, then repeats. Bad Motherboard, Memory, or Processor
  • If you can troubleshoot, narrow down the issue by reseating the memory and swapping a known working memory module, if available.
  • If nothing works, replace the motherboard, memory, or processor.
No Events found!