Start a Conversation

Unsolved

O

1 Message

March 29th, 2020 12:00

OptiPlex 3020 USB Network Adapter

Hey,

Looking for the best USB Network Adapter that is compatible with my OptiPlex 3020. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 29th, 2020 12:00

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VSTDFG

Drivers compatible with Mac OS X 10.6 and newer, Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP.

478 Posts

March 29th, 2020 17:00

That is a USB 2 devise, so it may not run at 1 Gb as advertised. I have a real cheap adapter I ordered from china (only a couple $). It works OK, automatically installed by windows 10, but I bet it isn't super fast since it's also USB 2. Just a gadget I collected, but it will do in a pinch if another ethernet connection were needed.

I wonder if pcie cards might be faster solutions.

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

March 30th, 2020 05:00

the best matches your router!

has zero to do with your actual PC, we can buy 1000s  of wifi cards,  and the fastest match your routers spec.

no router stated, no answers ever possible lacking such a key fact.

nor ISP, no what bandwidth you pay for.

got 10 kids all watching Netflix. at 8PM,  using wifi?  IDK

2 Intern

• 

2.5K Posts

March 30th, 2020 05:00

1Gb means 1 Giba bit not BYTEs.  your statements are false ,sorry. and guessing why not test it, for 1minute.

I have 3030MT, minitower and if  you read the manual it tells you  there are 2 classes of USB on this PC, for sure

USB2 and 3, both, the fast ports are in fact colored blue, inside the USB port plastic shell

but ONLY ON THE REAR not the front,  see?

wiki tells you this.

The SuperSpeed bus provides for a transfer mode at a nominal rate of 5.0 Gbit/s, in addition to the three existing transfer modes. Its efficiency is dependent on a number of factors including physical symbol encoding and link level overhead. At a 5 Gbit/s signaling rate with 8b/10b encoding, each byte needs 10 bits to be transmitted, so the raw throughput is 500 MB/s. (BYTES) When flow control, packet framing and protocol overhead are considered, it is realistic for 400 MB/s (3.2 Gbit/s) or more to be delivered to an application.[18](4–19) Communication is full-duplex in SuperSpeed transfer mode; earlier modes are half-duplex, arbitrated by the host.[27]

I guess you need help with Bandwidth.

Your ISP let you go 1Gb/s?  I can do near that but not that fast and have the fastest ISP in this state and modem to match with 32 channels on it to get that.

the router you have must be not signal band, and must be rated same as you wifi card;/dongle

AC1200? or up ?

ever run internet speed tests,  you can do that easy, just click the page

then try your slow router

then try Ethernet.

your bottle necks REAL will be your ISP and the actual www web it self, 

(reality there only maters) "in the play HW perfect at home"

and you poor grade router or modem and same poor grade WIFI card.

As will distance from PC to router.

As will traffic in your local collision domain,  that I'd have to be there to measure. (fancy tools me)

No Events found!