Start a Conversation

Solved!

September 7th, 2023 07:39

March 18th, 2019 22:00

The OS is Win 7  Professional

As I mentioned earlier, I may have tried to do more than I understand. Since I am not even up to US poverty level, I try to get by with what I can. Hence the Optiplex 7010. I normally make all tech item last as long as possible since I don't have need of anything fancy.

The HDD is/was 500gb and system has an external 1.5tb HDD.

the first step on all PCs with a HDD, is to run full HDD tests first, reloading any  OS top bad HDD is hopeless. (we use the Ubuntu v17 free , on  USB stick and pick, (try me) and then run full HDD tests

- over my head, so no idea how the above goes.

It seems as though I will have to save up and buy another HDD.

Thanks for the help.

9 Posts

March 14th, 2019 13:00

Sorry for not using the forums correctly.

My 7010 optiplex no longer boots -

Yes, it's older. I happen to be poor and it's what I can afford. I need some help. After a Windows update, it no longer boots. The loading screen is different now it is a loading bar, then it goes into windows repair. Prior to this I can F12 in to some option, none of which allow a safe boot. Also none allow a boot.

When it goes through its boot repair, it cannot do the automatic boot repair.

I do not know how to get through the boot up sequence successfully. This is where I need some help, though I am not very technically savvy. Suggestions would be appreciated. My alternate computer is an Optiplex 7020. Thanks for any help.

Edit - running Windows 7 also tapping F8 does not get any joy. I can use F12, but not repair ability.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 14th, 2019 14:00

This model would have a recovery image.

Most Likely Scenario is corrupted windows or worse bad drive.

Getting a new drive and reinstall from scratch is what you need.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/osiso/win

You put the old drive into a dock or usb enclosure and recover any Data Files.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2

There are NO SOFT FIXES for physically bad hard drives.

Looking for Linux?

9 Posts

March 16th, 2019 17:00

Thanks for the quick response. I tried OS Recovery Tool, but after several attempts, the tool will not complete to the usb, stopping with about 3% to go. The optiplex does not deal well with the inserted usb OS Recovery Tool and it does nothing aside from saying it cannot do what I wish. I have ordered the docking station, though not a new hdd. The original computer was not that expensive. My current optiplex 7020 runs on win 8.1 (I so hate this version). If you have any further suggestions for a newbie, I would appreciate it. Thanks for all your advice., but I may be over my head, based on all instructions.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 16th, 2019 21:00

@CaineStM wrote:

I tried OS Recovery Tool, but after several attempts, the tool will not complete to the usb, stopping with about 3% to go. 

If using a 16gb flash drive, try a 32gb one instead.

9 Posts

March 18th, 2019 02:00

Already did use a 32gb originally. No joy.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

March 18th, 2019 03:00

The recovery tool will not RECOVER a physically bad drive.

You must use a new hard drive.

It takes quite a long time to download the recovery image because its larger than 8 gigs

The other issue is that you must use USB2 port not USB3

and you must use USB 2 flash drive.

There are many many many models of usb flash drive that are not working due to being fake.

These work fine when they are not counterfeit  (SDCZ50-032G-AFFP)

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Blade-Flash-SDCZ50/dp/B00652C690/

FAKE MEDIAFAKE MEDIA

2.5K Posts

March 18th, 2019 06:00

my 2 cents.

• what OS is this, w10? Vista, ?  we have no idea and matters.
  • I guess the magic, F12 recovery method fails using the recovery partition, methods. so..
  • what  is inside that box?  SSD or HDD, and was either replaced since new? and size is tiny, <60GB.
  • the first step on all PCs with a HDD, is to run full HDD tests first, reloading any  OS top bad HDD is hopeless. (we use the Ubuntu v17 free , on  USB stick and pick, (try me) and then run full HDD tests.
  • IF those tests now any unrecoverable errors above 0 the HDD IS BAD.  replace the hdd now.
  • The next step is get good install media, like w7 or w10 from microsoft,  use there USB builder, USB2 port  only. (or burn the ISO using RUFUS(free)
  • Boot the USB using boot order or boot on the fly choice hot key,  (covered in the manual) and USB boots.
  • The OS installs and the PC reboots, remove the USB stick now, do not let the stick boot 2 times, OK?
  • bingo you are running fresh OS.  the only show stoppers is w10-64 fails to install (it is picky) run 32bit.

all this assumes the PC is ok , PSU ok, memory and mobo ok, and only HDD bad. (they can fail in 5 years spin time, a fact)

15 Posts

March 19th, 2019 05:00

There was one Windows update recently which could cause such issue.

Are you able to boot into command prompt(repair console) from windows install disk and check contents of this folder?

C:\Windows\System32\LogFiles\Srt

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 19th, 2019 10:00

@CaineStM wrote:

The HDD is/was 500gb 

It seems as though I will have to save up and buy another HDD.

You were probably only using a fraction of that space.

Instead of getting another "spinning platter" HDD, I suggest a 2.5inch SATA SSD. You can get a famous-maker (Samsung, Intel, Kingston) SSD for cheap. A 128gb-256gb SSD is under $50 and will be much faster and more reliable that a mechanical HDD.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Any working machine will LIVE BOOT Linux without any hard drive installed.

Ubuntu 18.04 released in April 2018 and will be supported until April 2023.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes/ChangeSummary/18.04.2

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04.2/

64-bit PC (AMD64) desktop image

I have installed this on machines as OLD as Optiplex GX620 with as little as 2 gigs of Ram and it works fine.

Used Hard Drives are Not Expensive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00461K1QW

Bootable UBUNTU DVD's are also inexpensive.

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/ubuntu/ubuntu-18042-lts-desktop-install-live-dvd-64bit.html

Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Desktop - Install/Live DVD (64-bit)

• Categories: Beginners, Desktop
  • Media Type: Install, Live
  • Contents: 1 DVD
  • Platform: 64-bit (x86-64, amd64)

live Linux distribution. What is a live distribution? Simple. By running completely from RAM, a live Linux distribution allows you to run a full instance of the operating system (from either CD/DVD or USB) without making changes to your current system or needing a hard drive at all.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

@CaineStM wrote:

1. I tried OS Recovery Tool, but after several attempts, the tool will not complete to the usb, stopping with about 3% to go.

2. The optiplex does not deal well with the inserted usb OS Recovery Tool and it does nothing aside from saying it cannot do what I wish.

3. The original computer was not that expensive.

4. My current optiplex 7020 runs on win 8.1 (I so hate this version). If you have any further suggestions for a newbie, I would appreciate it.

5. Thanks for all your advice., but I may be over my head, based on all instructions.

1. Do not use any Dell Recovery solution ... just use the Microsoft one that @speedstep linked you to (also suggested here)

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

2. You will have to be more specific.

The (F12 on boot) ePSA Diagnostics should be able to detect a bad HDD/SSD by reading it's SMART status.

A "clean/fresh Windows install" is also good test of your main drive.  

3. That is fine as long as they work.

4. After you fix the 7010, this 7020 is likely capable of a free upgrade to Windows-10 64bit.

5. Take it slow and don't get overwhelmed. 

9 Posts

March 20th, 2019 22:00

Sorry for the delay. No boot was right after recent update. That being said, I managed to reinstall my OS, and did not lose too much personal data as I keep most on a separate hdd. Again, thanks for all the help. I now have to figure out how to downgrade my optiplex 7020 OS from Win 8.1 to Win 7.1 Pro. I hate 8.1.

No Events found!