Start a Conversation

Unsolved

HB

8 Posts

June 4th, 2018 12:00

Optiplex 7040; Huge fps drops, slow performance and crashes

Here is my problem:

I recently got the optiplex 7040 and installed some games in it. Games such as Overwatch and Dota 2. i am currently running them in the integrated graphics card which is the Intel HD 530. i used to run the same games on my hp laptop and the used to run smoothly on low settings. However on my PC i am having frequent hangs while running the game and huge fps drops from like 60 fps to 7 or 9 fps. i have 4 GB ram, but i don't think that it may be causing the problem because i have assigned extra 4 GB from my hard disk as virtual memory. i have also updated my drivers through the Support assistant and still there is change in my condition.here are my specs

Graphics Card: Intel R HD 530

Processor: Intel r core i7-6700 CPU 3.40 GHz

System: 64-bit operating system

Installed ram: 4 GB (3.89 GB usable) 

also if you can take some time out of you day please troubleshoot the problem through team-viewer i would be happy to provide you with further information.

Hope you are able to pin point the exact problem which is caucusing such poor performance issues.

Thank You

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

June 4th, 2018 13:00

Hope you are able to pin point the exact problem which is causing such poor performance issues. i used to run the same games on my hp laptop and the used to run smoothly on low settings.
* What were the specifications for that laptop?
- CPU
- Operating System
- Ram
- GPU

The Optiplex were never designed with gaming in mind. They are designed to run the operating system with work applications.

Overwatch. Click "Can You Run It".

Dota 2. Click "Can You Run It".

June 5th, 2018 06:00

I have the hp notebook my laptop specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel r i7-6500 2.50GHz

Operating system: 64-bit

Ram: 8GB

GPU: Intel r 520 & AMD R5 M330

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

June 5th, 2018 12:00

So twice the ram and the much better AMD R5 M330 GPU. Not a good hardware comparison to the Optiplex 7040. What were the results of the "Can You Run It" ?

367 Posts

June 5th, 2018 13:00

You can't really do anything about it unless you install a graphics card because the integrated graphics won't get you far in gaming.

June 6th, 2018 07:00

everything seems to be at the borderline, for overwatch I need 4GB ram but 6Gb is recommended but dota seems to be fine. im starting to think that maybe the drivers are causing the problem, they are up to date, but still i am ging to install the driver repair, hope that fixes things.

June 6th, 2018 07:00

the test shows that, for overwatch i need 768 MB dedicated video memory but i have 128 MB and so i cant run it on even minimum settings. dota 2 also has the same problem. I guess i cant run the games on the integrated GPU so im thinking on buying the 1050 ti, but i am pretty sure the motherboard would not support such a high end graphics card. Will the motherboard support the GPU??

1 Message

June 28th, 2020 11:00

Can i use gtx 750 ti on 7040 sff with removing psu to take space for gpu

No Events found!