Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2020 14:00

Problem with dvd discs showing '0 bytes free' and '0 bytes used' in explorer

In my Optiplex 3040 my optical drives (one internal, one external), with the same dvd disc inserted, the properties show up as '0 bytes free' and '0 bytes used'. My Vostro laptop correctly displays the properties for the same disc in its internal optical drive. Both have Windows 10 Pro installed and both are up to date with system updates. SFC scan shows no errors on the desktop. Anyone have any ideas, please?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2020 11:00

ALL versions of windows do this when the region code is not set on a DVD drive. ImgBurn comes with potentially unwanted software. ImgBurn was  best burning program which was why it was so sad the latest version 2.5.8.0 came bundled with malware. This wasn't just adware that you could choose to install- it was really malicious malware that was very difficult to remove (Ask.com toolbar )The Ask Toolbar is frequently referred to as a browser hijacker because it takes control of the Web browser and does things you may not want, such as using Ask.com instead of Google or Bing to perform a search, or setting the Ask.com webpage as your default homepage. Many people call it a virus. The security industry generally refers to it as a "PUP," or potentially unwanted program. Users who it hijacks mostly have less polite names for it. 

Windows no longer comes with dvd playback codecs or burning software.

If you buy an external USB Burner you can get both back.

You will still have to set the region code on the drive to play disks.  Buying the Drive allows burning and playback to be put back for as many machines as you want as many times as you want.  The cost of the drive is the same as buying the software without a drive.  USB2 means it works with ALL DELL MODELS from 2006 to now.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-external-usb-2-0-blu-ray-disc-double-layer-dvdrw-cd-rw-disc-rewriter-black/9243009.p?skuId=9243009

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

December 5th, 2020 15:00

Is the DVD disc closed or open?  (Closed meaning can't add media to it.)

Are these blank DVD's that you're unable to burn to?

5 Posts

December 6th, 2020 02:00

Thanks for responding. Please see screenshots below. Both relate the the same blank open DVD+RW disc which can be written to. The laptop correctly recognises the disk but neither of my desktop optical drives does so. Does this help?

From Dell LaptopFrom Dell LaptopFrom Dell DesktopFrom Dell Desktop

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

December 6th, 2020 10:00

I take it all of your DVD drives are burners.

Can you still burn to DVD on your desktop?  If so, it might be a small nuisance or annoyance to be lived with.

5 Posts

December 7th, 2020 02:00

Thanks for your comments. Yes - all of the optical drives are DVD burners. I have checked ImgBurn and Ashampoo Burner and both do read the disc size and can burn so you are correct that it is something to be lived with. Probably a registry glitch which may resolve itself with future MS updates. Anyway - thanks for developing my thinking on this one. One of life's little IT mysteries!

6 Professor

• 

8.2K Posts

December 7th, 2020 11:00

One thing that came to mind is going into BIOS.  Uncheck the DVD drives.  Click "apply."  Recheck the drives and click "apply."  That's used for if Windows doesn't see the drive(s), so I didn't know if it would help in your case, if Windows is not fully reading it.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2020 01:00

Thanks Bradthetechnut for BIOS idea - will check that out once I have a minute.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2020 01:00

Thanks for response, Speedstep - checked that - all three of my DVD burners are not set to any specific region and the one on the laptop does read the disc information correctly so that is that the issue. I must have downloaded ImgBurn 2.5.8.0 before the 'ASK' toolbar became an issue - or maybe it is not an issue in the UK - but thanks for the warning.

No Events found!