Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2021 14:00

removed nvme windows not start

Hello

I tried to install an nvme m2 on my dell optiplex micro 9020.

The nvme was not recognize by windows so I decided to remove that, the problem is when I remove that windows doesn't start anymore and also the bios looks having some problem, infact the screen is in stand by after a while it start the logo dell but I can't entere in the bios.

If I put again the nvme everything is ok

What could be the problem?

Thank you

77 Posts

June 2nd, 2021 15:00

Did you migrate the operating system from the NVME drive to a hard drive or SSD? What tool did you use to do it? Did you remember to make the system partition bootable?

If you're running Windows 10, did you make the new system disc with "secure boot" mode?

Correct all that then change the boot order in BIOS with the NVME still in & it should boot from the new system drive. Then you can remove the NVME.

June 2nd, 2021 22:00

No no I didn't migrate the OS. Windows was installed on hd ssd and I wanted to use the nvme just like second disk to plotting.

Furthmore the nvme is not recognice by windows and by bios too, so i really dont understand.

What do you think?

Thank

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 3rd, 2021 09:00

Microsoft System  Reserved partition MSR and UEFI boot isn't on other drives.  Cloning is not supported by Dell or Microsoft.  If you have 3rd party clone software issues you will have to get help from 3rd parties.

Windows PE is a “Lite” version of Windows 10 and was created to act as a deployment platform. Windows PE replaces the DOS or Linux boot disks that ruled the deployment solutions of the last decade.

The key thing to know about Windows PE is that, like the operating system, it needs drivers for at least network and F6 storage devices in each PC.

parts.png

You will have to clear cmos and remove all drives and clean install onto the boot drive.

Bios is not a boot drive selector.  The BCD is also not a boot selector like grub.

77 Posts

June 3rd, 2021 12:00

"What do you think?"

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I suggest that (with the NVME disk in) you boot into BIOS (F12 at the Dell splash screen), make a careful note of the settings affecting boot (boot mode, legacy on/off, boot sequence, secure boot on/off), do a "reset to factory settings", restore the settings affecting boot which you just noted, save the settings, turn the system off & remove the NVME then try booting again. If it doesn't work then just leave the superfluous NVME in.

BTW I know the 9020 Micro has a M.2 SSD connector but there appears to be nothing in the documentation which says it's supported.

Speedstep: Cloning a whole disc onto a disc of at least the same byte count with a bit copier (dd) is GUARANTEED to work IRRESPECTIVE of partition type marker and partition structure, using one of the "smart" copy modes in Clonezilla or Aomei Partition Assistant in "clone mode" just speeds the task up by not copying those sectors which aren't allocated. It really isn't rocket science!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 3rd, 2021 13:00

"Speedstep: Cloning a whole disc onto a disc of at least the same byte count with a bit copier (dd) is GUARANTEED to work IRRESPECTIVE of partition type marker and partition structure,"

That is false and absolute nonsense.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/troubleshoot-inaccessible-boot-device

STOP7B WIN10.jpg

First thing I tell people when they have trouble with the  Samsung 970 PCI-E NVME drives is to download the Samsung Driver and install BEFORE cloning the drive.  The other trick is to set BCD to safe mode then shut down

Then Set Sata to AHCI from the default RAID (INTEL RST) mode and reboot.  Then clone the drive with BCD set to safe mode so that the new NVME will be seen as it boots with the original HDD physically removed.  (This avoids the Drive signature collision issue.)

Cloning is NOT Supported by Dell or Microsoft.   Sysprep images are not cloned images.

The Microsoft policy for disk duplication of Windows installations has been the policy since WINDOWS NT in 1995.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/windows-installations-disk-duplication#

The other issues you run into are SID duplicates and Volumes that will not mount due to volume signature collision.  Which is why removing all the other drives and clean install is recommended for NVME or HDD or SSD.

Stop 7B is definitely still there (Inaccessible boot Device)  It just doesn't look the same.

Especially when NVME can be SATA  (B & M Key)

or PCI-E (M Key only)

This is further complicated by the non support of Legacy MBR for ANY system on internal drives past 6th Gen Sky-lake for 2016.

I actually use specific hardware to clone drives that is not related to windows.  It works with almost everything.  You can buy a sata NVME to 2.5 drive adapter and clone SATA   AHCI  M2 to HDD or the other way round.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WN4KV64/

https://www.newegg.com/p/0Y5-000G-00027

There is support for Drive Images and over the network image install etc from Dell or Microsoft.  HOWEVER that support is not free.

PCI-E NVME will not clone to SATA SSD or the other way round.

Advanced format drives REQUIRE F6 mass storage drivers and the default SATA Operation for many new models is RAID ON aka INTEL RST F6 drivers.  Setting Sata operation to AHCI helps because the Default Windows driver is used.    Windows PE or Windows 2 go or Windows installed on a hard drive will not be "Seen"  as storage device to install if the SATA Operation mode is not AHCI and the F6 Pre install Mass storage drivers are missing. This applies to windows XP/VISTA/7/8/10

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000148150

DRIVER MISSING.png

Windows PE needs at least the Network and F6 mass storage drivers.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000108642/winpe-10-driver-pack

You cannot point to a zip , cab, exe file the drivers must be extracted and on your install media whether its USB or DVD etc.

Some PCI-E NVME have non native windows driver like Samsung 970 PCI-E.

This driver supports Samsung NVMe™ SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.

NVMe™ Driver Installation Guide

77 Posts

June 3rd, 2021 16:00

You're making difficulties where none exist.

Clearly neither dd nor anything else can read or write a disc for which there is no device driver that works at (at least) the serial block level. A more sophisticated perhaps OS-specific driver may be needed to wring the best performance out of the device but this is hardly an issue for doing a simple copy of the whole drive.

I repeat, cloning a disc with dd (if the hardware will let you do it at all) is completely independent of partition layouts, file system structures or operating system subsequently used - with only one exception ...

Duplicate IDs in Windows. But even then this is essentially moot because why would you want two copies of a disc online at the same time? Going back to the original post, I replied asking how the disc was cloned / copied because I did think this _might_ be an issue. But in any case it's a breeze to change the disc id with (linux) fdisk without altering anything else on the disc (look in the "extra functionality" command set actvated by command "x" in the main menu) & then not even Microsoft can make the system object.

No Events found!