Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2018 23:00

Optiplex 9010 MT, Windows 7, PCI Firewire

Hi,

I've installed an Via J1394A1 firewire card into Slot 3 (PCI) on my 9010MT. I've partitioned the machine to have XP and Win 7 OS's. Some how I magically got it to work on the XP partition (very temperamental with the Directx version and the 1394 bus controller) .

But I would like to go to Windows 7. The firewire will be taking input from my VCR, and have previously used WinDV to view and capture video coming down this channel.

But I've had no success getting it to work on my Windows 7 Ultimate partition, downloaded the latest DirectX, but lots of difficulties getting the legacy 1394A driver working (yes, I've swapped it over to be the Legacy 1394 OHCI version), but still no luck.

What do I need to install to get the PCI port to work?

Thanks!

June 28th, 2018 03:00

CODECS made no difference.

Did start to do a Driver comparison, saw that the Audio drivers not installed, so downloaded these from the dell site and installed them. Tried the Windows Media player and for some reason an Apple download window appeared, so installed some more software.

Anyway, something made me look at the AV/C Tape Recorder drop down button in the WinDV software, selected this, found a Video source came up (never saw this before, ever, even on the other machines), selected the option that came up, and now I've got signal.

Signal isn't as good as through the ADVC software, but it is equivalent to what I was getting on the other OS's. So, off now to the GV forums to see what is causing this error.

So, for this Dell forum, I'm done. Thanks for your help, and I hope this post helps other people trying to get their Firewire working with Wind 7 on Dell machines. Don't give up, is all I can say!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 24th, 2018 03:00

What is the status of the Firewire card in the Device Manager?  Does it have an error code or show as working ok?

Is the Via card supposed to be Win 7 compatible?  

I use Firewire in my recording studio and have had problems with Via and only use cards with T.I. chipset.

June 24th, 2018 05:00

Everything is showing OK.

I am checking under the 1394 Bus host controller....

Under System devices, there is a PCI Bus, that is also showing OK

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 24th, 2018 07:00

Reinstall the Intel motherboard chipset drivers.  Many times the chipset drivers will fix not recognized devices on or attached to the motherboard.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-9010/drivers

Install the chipset driver then reboot (as noted).  See if this makes a difference.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Good that you got it working. Whatever it takes.  I don't think QuickTime had anything to do with it.  

I seem to have got it working.

When you have to do the trick to the Device Manager trick to swap over to legacy OHCI driver, there were other VIA drivers available. I don't know if they were standard drivers with Windows, or somehow associated with the XP installation. I can't see how that is possible, but I'm not sure how the VIA drivers were available.

In summary, I selected one of those.

The other trick is that the PC must start up and then you turn on the device attached to the firewire. The other way around, and you simply get "Error - Device not found" or other types of errors.

Also I installed the latest version of Quicktime. Not sure if that helped solve it, but just another step I followed.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 24th, 2018 16:00

@Southskies wrote:

Hi,

I've installed an Via J1394A1 firewire card into Slot 3 (PCI) on my 9010MT. I've partitioned the machine to have XP and Win 7 OS's. Some how I magically got it to work on the XP partition (very temperamental with the Directx version and the 1394 bus controller) .

But I would like to go to Windows 7. The firewire will be taking input from my VCR, and have previously used WinDV to view and capture video coming down this channel.

But I've had no success getting it to work on my Windows 7 Ultimate partition, downloaded the latest DirectX, but lots of difficulties getting the legacy 1394A driver working (yes, I've swapped it over to be the Legacy 1394 OHCI version), but still no luck.

What do I need to install to get the PCI port to work?

Thanks!

I used to have an XPS-410 . It came with a Dell Firewire-1394 PCIe card. It worked fine under Vista-32 and then Windows7-64bit.

I miss Firewire. Back then, it was fast, dependable, and seemed to multi-task or run in parallel better ... all better than USB back then.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 25th, 2018 03:00

Tesla, I'm using Firewire on Win 10 without problems. Still a lot of audio recording gear that uses Firewire.

June 25th, 2018 07:00

Now onto the next stage... Wimdows 7, 64 bit.

Going through the same process, having problems still, in particular trying to get WinDV to work, getting the error
"Error: Device not found"

Has anyone come across this problem?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 25th, 2018 10:00

Do you have the 1.2.3 version (apparently the last version)?

Now that you have the Firewire working, a reinstall of WinDV may be needed.  Uninstall WinDV, restart the PC (don't skip the reboot) then do a new install of WinDV.  

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2018 02:00

Then try running it as "Administrator" and if that doesn't work since it works OK in XP, run it in an XP compatibility mode.

June 26th, 2018 02:00

WinDV has no install

You just run the program.

June 26th, 2018 08:00

No, neither of those options make any difference. Still get Error: Device not found in WinDV

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

June 26th, 2018 10:00

Let's back up.  You reported the Firewire port is not seen by Windows.  Is WinDVD not seeing the Firewire port or what is attached to the Firewire port?  I don't have any knowledge with WinDVD so I can't help you with that.  Does WinDVD have support or Facebook page? Maybe a forum?

June 26th, 2018 16:00

Yes, agreed, it is worth going back a step.

I am trying to capture Video output through a Canpous ADVC300 device through firewire ( a VIA card on SLOT 3)

I have OS's on my machine

XP SP3, Win 7 32 bit, Wind 64 bit.

The setup works fine on the first 2.

For the Win 7 32 bit device, I have managed to get it working with the latest 1394 drivers

The canopus device has software that you can use to monitor the signal, but no capture facility. I use WinDV to do the capture. WinDV is free sw developed some time ago, but no longer developed / supported. There is no install. You just run it.

On the 64 bit WIN 7, I can get the Canopus monitoring device to detect the signal, and can see a picture, but only get the error for the WinDV sw - device not found

I hope this perspective helps!

No Events found!