Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

LA

July 14th, 2018 07:00

3010, unable to update BIOS A19

Currently has A11 BIOS. Have attempted to update to the newer A19 with no success. Tried running the updater "O3010A19.exe" from within Windows 7 and also from a Bootable USB key. No error happens, the updater just says "preparing to update" and then reboots the system back into Windows without doing anything. Have also tried disabling Intel Virtualization in the BIOS but no change.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 14th, 2018 11:00

15 Posts

July 15th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for the reply. Hmm..sorry - not seeing the connection here except the only reason I am updating the BIOS on all my systems is specifically for Spectre/Meltdown mitigation.

Although it was a bit over my head, it looks like the people in that other thread had no difficulty applying the BIOS update, it's just that their BIOS update did not contain the mitigation code it was supposed to.

However I am not able to apply the BIOS update at all.

Just wondering what to try next since I am still on a very old BIOS version.

Thanks!

15 Posts

July 28th, 2018 10:00

Any more ideas? I'm still experiencing the issue. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 28th, 2018 14:00

You cant jump from A01 to A21 (7/16/2018) or higher in 1 step.

A19 DOES NOT ADDRESS Updated CPU microcode to address security advisory Intel Security Advisory INTEL-SA-00115 (CVE-2018-3639 & CVE-2018-3640) that A21 does.

Type: BIOS
DescriptionVersionDownload
Dell OptiPlex 3010 System BIOS
This package provides the BIOS update for Dell OptiPlex 3010 running the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
A21
This package provides the BIOS update for Dell OptiPlex 3010 running the following Operating Systems: Windows and DOS.More details
A19
A17
A16
A15
A14
A13
A12
This package provides the Dell System BIOS update and is supported on Dell OptiPlex 3010 for Windows and DOS Operating Systems.More details
A11
A10
Dell OptiPlex 3010 System BIOS A09
Dell OptiPlex 3010 System BIOS A09More details
A09
Dell OptiPlex 3010 System BIOS A08
SWB,BIOS,WIN8,OptiPlex3010,A08More details
A08
Dell Optiplex3010 System BIOS A06
Dell OptiPlex3010 System BIOS A06More details
A06
OPTIPLEX 3010 A02 BIOS for Web POST.
OptiPlex 3010, BIOS, A02More details
 A02

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

July 28th, 2018 15:00

@LC-Admin wrote:

and also from a Bootable USB key. No error happens, the updater just says "preparing to update" and then reboots the system back into Windows without doing anything. Have also tried disabling Intel Virtualization in the BIOS but no change.

Try A12 like this:

https://dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071757/highlight/true#M1311

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 6th, 2018 10:00

@LC-Admin wrote:

@Tesla1856 I see that you had an error,

at what point did you get this error

I'm assuming that it is the same Memory Allocation problem. I think it might be the same problem ... or, you can "call it broken" and give up.  :Smile:

For me, it appears in the DOS-like Command window, but you have to read carefully. The error might manifest itself differently on your machine.

15 Posts

August 6th, 2018 10:00

@speedstep Thanks for the links, how convenient! Unfortunately I was not able to upgrade even to the next one up. (currently A11, tried A12 and same problem). It literally does not even try, all it does is reboot the computer. Event logs show nothing relevant.

@Tesla1856 I see that you had an error, at what point did you get this error because my computer never even goes into a BIOS flash screen at any time. All it does is show me in a popup box what version I've selected, then gives a warning about do not do anything during the flash - I click continue and my computer reboots normally. There is no attempt to flash the BIOS at all. Same thing happens when I try from bootable USB - says it's going to update, and then just reboots the computer without doing anything.

Is there an error log or other place where you went to find the error?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 6th, 2018 11:00

You cannot use windows 8 or 10 to update the bios.  XP or 7 is required and the Management Engine Components (CHIPSET DRIVERS) are NOT optional as far as Bios update.  Most all antivirus programs WILL PREVENT bios update.  BIOS update MUST BE RUN as Administrator.  You don't usually have to go one by one but you have to at least go in steps like A01 to A05 to A08 to A10 to A15 to A20 etc.

All of the drivers can be downloaded at once via cab file.

You then unzip the cab into a folder with 7zip

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

You then copy the entire folder structure to the Documents Library

aka c:\users\user\documents

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=C0HJK

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01955280M/1/3010-win7-A07-C0HJK.CAB

Once Clean windows 7 and ALL Drivers are installed there should be no YELLOW ! in the device manager.

Then the bios can be run as administrator.

YOU CANNOT UPDATE BIOS as a user.

If there are any yellow ! in device manager right click on update driver and say FIND the drivers on my PC do NOT use the internet to get the drivers.

Once all the drivers such as Sata Controller and Management Engine and Chipset etc are installed everything will work.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 6th, 2018 11:00

@speedstep wrote:

You cannot use windows 8 or 10 to update the bios.  XP or 7 is required and the Management Engine Components (CHIPSET DRIVERS) are NOT optional as far as Bios update. 

Well, he said Windows-7 is installed. Hopefully, he knew to try disabling/uninstalling Anti-Virus. 

I've heard of Legacy-BIOS updates that only run from Windows, but I've never been presented with one in real-life. If that is the case, it would be a pretty un-reliable flashing environment to begin-with, so using Windows-7 would likely be a good idea (maybe even try it's Safe-Mode) .

15 Posts

August 6th, 2018 12:00

OK here are my replies.

- The computer is running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
- There are no yellow exclamation points in the Device Manager
- Intel Management Engine Components (version 9.5.14.1724, 27/11/2013) installed (according to the Control Panel)
- I checked the logs inside the BIOS but it's empty

I tried updating A11 -> A19 from bootable USB, but I did not try A11 -> A12 from USB, so I'll try that now. I'll post back with the results.

15 Posts

August 6th, 2018 13:00

@Tesla1856 @speedstep Thanks for your help.

Posted earlier that I tried A11 -> A12 from bootable USB and it didn't work. Wasn't aware my reply didn't get posted until now. Sorry!

Yeah, I don't ever see a DOS screen with any kind of messaging after I type "y" to proceed - it then just immediately reboots into Windows.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 7th, 2018 11:00

DISABLE Antivirus is BAD IDEA,

YOU MUST UNINSTALL AND REMOVE AND REBOOT AT LEAST 3 TIMES TO MAKE SURE that the AV software is gone.

Otherwise it will get to ERASE BIOS AND TRY TO UPDATE THEN HANG THEN BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH YOU ARE BRICKED.

You cant use dos.  The INTEL Management Engine Components are REQUIRED to change the bios.

These updates must be done as administrator.

MSDOS is not supported on these systems which is why there is also NO FLOPPY CONTROLLER.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 7th, 2018 13:00

XPS-8300 VOSTRO 460 BIOS is CLASS 1 BIOS.  The 3010 is UEFI BIOS.

Not the same CHIPSET or Managment Engine etc.

We are talking about a 3010 Not an XPS 8300.

Max windows version drivers for the 8300 is

Windows 7 2009 

not windows 8  UEFI Secure Boot 2012

The 3010 in fact has 8.0 8.1 and 10 Drivers.

FREEDOS or MSDOS or WIN98DOS is not suitable for UEFI BIOS updates.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 7th, 2018 13:00

@speedstep wrote:

You cant use dos.  The INTEL Management Engine Components are REQUIRED to change the bios.

I updated my "FreeDOS BIOS flashing post" with a picture. It just so happens to include the second-phase where it checks the ME for possible flashing.

https://dell.com/community/Vostro/Vostro-460-XPS-8300-Upgrade-Adventures/m-p/6071757/highlight/true#M1311

I'm not saying all do, but this one did. :Smile:

15 Posts

August 12th, 2018 11:00

This machine only has Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus. But since the install fails from USB drive (before we even get to Windows) I'll guess it's not the problem?

I did try to install the BIOS updates as an administrator. Intel Management Engine is installed. Version of Windows is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP 1.

Speaking of UEFI, my BIOS has legacy boot options enabled. When I disable them, it won't boot. Not sure if that's an issue or not, so I thought I would mention it.

Sorry for the sporadic replies - I'm only in front of this computer 1-2 days a week. Still looking to resolve this though!

Thanks!

No Events found!