This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 00:00

Oracle mount options over VNX NFS

Hello Oracle Gurus,

I am implementing Oracle RAC 11g over VNX NFS v3 migrated from NTAP filers.

According to the customer, he was asked in the past by his integrator to have different mount options for 32bit (APP) and 64bit (DB) Operating system.

64Bit database

tlvnetapp3-db:/vol/db            /prod/data      nfs rsize=32768,wsize=32768,hard,nointr,rw,bg,vers=3,tcp,actimeo=0,timeo=600,suid

32Bit Application

tlvnetapp3-db:/vol/appsw            /prod/app         nfs rsize=16384,wsize=16384,soft,rw,bg,vers=3,tcp,nolock,timeo=600,suid

Can you please advise whether the requirements make sense in terms of Oracle mounts or whether this might have set in the past due to OS issues ?

Thanks,

Amir

161 Posts

November 3rd, 2011 02:00

Good question. I need research the answer and get back to you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2011 04:00

Thanks Eddy,

I understand dNFS is the way to go,

but as for the business climate we are currently facing, replacing several NTAP filers, we are advised not to change the current layout and stick to nfsv3 at phase 1.

225 Posts

November 3rd, 2011 19:00

Amir, for your future dNFS implementation, you might look at whitepaper, “Optimizing EMC Celerra IP storage on Oracle 11g Direct NFS” on Powerlink.

Thanks,

Eddy

2 Intern

• 

1.3K Posts

November 9th, 2011 17:00

which OS in your case?

256 Posts

November 11th, 2011 06:00

I would find it very strange for anyone on 11g with NFS to not use Direct NFS Client. This feature of Oracle provides, among other advantages, transparent management of mount point parameters across all OS platforms. You can mount your NFS mount point in any way you like on the OS side. Oracle simply ignores the OS-level mount point parameters and uses its own. This makes management of the NFS mount points uniform acrss all OS platforms.

Of course, you also get vastly improved port scaling and failover, drastically reduced I/O latency, lower CPU utilization, and so forth.

Using kNFS on 11g is a waste of a great opportunity. There is no downside to dNFS and huge upside. Just my 2 cents.

No Events found!