Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2014 13:00

IDRAC6 can't install Ubuntu 14.04 server from virtual media

Hello,

I have troubles with installing Ubuntu 14.04 server through virtual media iso mount Idrac 6 on server PowerEdge R210 II. The Idrac crash during the network or hardware detection. IPMI controller go down, and an electrical reboot is needed. Any of old version of Ubuntu or Debian work's fine.

Service tag: removed

Firmware Version 1.95 (Build 05) (technician tried 1.97, same bug).

BIOS Version 2.4.3 (technician tried 2.7.0, same bug)

Lifecycle Controller Firmware 1.5.5.27

The server is hosted at Online.Net

Thanks for help.

Best regards,

Mirek

• 

8.5K Posts

June 24th, 2014 14:00

Msourek,

On the newer versions of Ubuntu (14.04) and RHEL (7) when the system enters GUI mode (during setup) the iDRAC7 virtual console will stop passing keyboard and mouse inputs to the server. To correct this you can append usbcore.autosuspend=-1  to your kernel command line parameters from the Grub menu, when the server is booting. That should allow the install to proceed.

Let me know if this helps resolve the issue.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2014 15:00

Hi Mirek,

I've running into the very same problem.
Did you eventually find a solution?

Thanks.

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 09:00

Hi Chris,

Is there any update on this - as yet, this bug hasn't been addressed in a firmware update.   The workaround is not possible to apply with netboot media - which is the only one that fits on the non Dell SD vFlash.

• 

8.5K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 11:00

I would start with making sure that the BIOS and iDrac are up to date and current. The system actually isn't listed as supported under Ubuntu, as seen here.

1 Message

October 16th, 2015 14:00

Same issue with dell r610 ,Drac 6, Ubuntu 14.04, Areca RAID 1213

While installing via Virtual Media or USB flash drive after localization step of ubuntu 14.04 installation IDRAC becomes unavailable on 2 different servers with last BIOS and IDrac firmware

Is anyone with solution how to fix it ?

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 19:00

I've also run into this issue recently on an R610 with idrac6.  We've updated all firmwares to the latest with no luck.  Not sure if anyone has found a fix yet.

March 8th, 2016 13:00

I have encountered this same problem on a PowerEdge 1950 while attempting to install Ubuntu (14.04 or 16.04) via IPMI serial over LAN (SOL).

After some testing, I discovered that the network device detection mechanism that the Ubuntu installer is using somehow brings the entire network interface completely down, including the management interface.

When running the installer directly via the VGA console, the network interface still goes down at the same point, but you can continue with the installation with input at the console.

The point at which it stops is where it notifies you that there are multiple network interfaces and is asking you to choose which one to use for installation.

The network interface comes back online shortly after selecting the network device.

The workaround options I came up with are the following:

1) Install via the console if possible, or:

2) If installing at the console is not an option: For the duration of the installation, disable all but one network interface in the BIOS.

This prevents the installer from stopping and asking you which network device to use.

It will still bring the network interface down momentarily, but it will come back up shortly thereafter and you can continue the installation process.

Of course, I had to get someone to power cycle my remote machine so that I could do this, but after that, this method worked for me.

The behavior of the Ubuntu installer could certainly be modified to avoid this, and I will be creating a bug report with them for that.

However, I have no idea why or how the installer is able to so easily bring down the management network interface, unless it is communicating with the IPMI interface for some reason. It doesn't seem like this should be possible, so could still be a bug in the Ethernet device driver or the iDRAC.

Until this is resolved on either front, this workaround should do the trick.

Cheers,

Jeremy Bryan Smith

No Events found!