Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

April 10th, 2007 01:00

PowerEdge 1400SC - Cannot load Bios on Dell logo screen.

Dell poweredge 1400SC dual CPUs.
1Ghz CPU with 1Gb memory.
Bios Version A09
Windows 2003 O/S.

This server has been running for years. All the sudden, after powered down, it cannot start any more. It stops at the DELL logo screen where is shows Bios load about 1/4 of the way in the status bar. I have tried all these but nothing works.
  1. remove keyboard and mouse and boot. Same thing happens.
  2. remove battery and power cord then put them back on. Same thing happens.
  3. remove all memory cards. It makes 1, 3, 2 beeps. The main board works ok.  
  4. turned on VPROM_CLR jumper and power on, it still shows DELL logo screen and hangs. No other messages are displayed. Put back VPROM_CLR off and it freezes on the same screen.

Please let me know if there are other ways to fix this problem. Thanks in advance.

884 Posts

April 12th, 2007 02:00

I would strip the system down to a min to POST. Take anything that is not need; extra memory modules, procs and remove any CD-ROMs, floppy drives, tape drive, hard drives etc. If the issue is still happening, start swapping around the memory and proc to see which piece of the hardware is causing the issue.

3 Posts

April 17th, 2007 00:00

I was out 3 days. I will follow your suggestion and try it out.

Thanks.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2007 02:00

No Luck. It doesn't work.

I removed everything, Hardrives, CD-ROM, Foppy Drive and even the monitor. It was left only a single bank of memory (or otherwise, it would beep 1-3-2) and nothing was attached to the motherboard.

Then, I powered on the PC for 3 minutes and plugged back the minitor. It still show 1/4 of the status on loading the bios.

What else can I try to save the PC?

Thanks.

No Events found!