Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MS

March 3rd, 2015 19:00

PowerEdge 1900 Runs but can't get into it.

I have a PowerEdge 1900 that was given to me. I want to make use of it, but can't seem to get any image out of the VGA , Mouse and Keyboard. It was mentioned to me that those ports are probably set to disabled and only operated through the DRAC card.  However I don't have the Credentials needed to get into it. I've tried to reset the server by jumping the CMOS but have been unsuccessful. This unit was given to me with hard drives and ram. I have put all the necessary components in and can't seem to make this thing work for me. Is there anyone who knows these animals who can help me???

• 

8.8K Posts

March 4th, 2015 04:00

M.Sain-Dinn,

When the Drac was mentioned,, they didn't mean you would need to access it. What they meant to say was that if there is a Drac 4 installed in the server, the onboard video goes through the Drac Card. So you would need to connect to the VGA port on the Drac 4 to get video. The other VGA ports would not produce an image if the Drac is installed. If you do this and still have no video then you can also try taking it to a Minimum to Post configuration and see if you have video then. Minimum to Post is removing everything from the server, but the following;

• System board
  • Processor (with heatsink) in socket 1
  • One stick of memory in slot 1
  • 1 power supply
  • Control panel (to turn on system

If you get image with that configuration, then add the removed parts back one at a time till the issue appears again, that will help identify the problem, if there is one.

Let me know how it goes.

March 4th, 2015 08:00

Thank you very much for reply, I really appreciate it. Pardon my stupidity but how would one connect to the VGA on the Drac4 card? Before I asked this question I tried to look it up. however I came up short. 

Thanks Again!

March 4th, 2015 09:00

If you mean the 15 pin VGA port Intergrated on the Motherboard. I've tried that port , and NO GO! However I have tried what you said. I removed all the components and left the bare bones, and we got an Image on display. I'm currently installing components slowly, and have noticed that Ram was causing me grief.

I'm going to leave out the DRAC4 card. Don't need it for my applications.

Thank you very much Chris H... you were a HUGE HELP!

Mike

• 

8.8K Posts

March 4th, 2015 09:00

On the rear of the server, is there an expansion card with a VGA port on it? If so, connect the monitor to that VGA. That card is the Drac 4.

• 

8.8K Posts

March 4th, 2015 12:00

Glad to hear.

Let me know what device you find, if not the memory, is causing the issue.

March 5th, 2015 06:00

Actually Chris it was the memory causing this. When I received this unit it had the Ram in it already. So I didn't even think to check it. I just assumed the DRAC4 card was the culprit. Its running great now!

I have another question you might be able to help with. Is there anyway to silence those fans in this unit. Its unbelievably loud. If the server wasn't so heavy it might actually lift off. LOL  I read you need to buy 6 new quieter fans. Is this the case?

Mike

• 

8.8K Posts

March 5th, 2015 10:00

The fans are controlled by the Drac/BMC in the server. When the fans max out it is generally due to the system being out of date, or a high heat enviroment. If it is a controlled climate then I would suggest updating the BIOS and Drac/BMC.

Let me know.

March 5th, 2015 13:00

Thanks Chris.

The server is in my basement, in a very cool area, 17*C/63*F, Updated the BMC, and my BIOS was already at lastest and greatest. Fresh Install of windows 2008 R2/64bit. Zero working being thrown at it. Still having very high RPM's.  I've read that this units are typically loud units. I only have one CPU in it and only 4 gb Ram. Its just sitting idle with no errors displayed, Its quite a roar I tell ya.

Looking at some of the other Poweredge folks, MODing or replacing the Fans to lower RPM fans. I would think that Dell would have fixed this by releasing a firmware that would fix it.

Mike

No Events found!