Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2012 13:00

Update BIOS on Dell PowerEdge 2950

Hello,

I have a question regarding updating the BIOS on this system. The business has a Non-Production Environment (NPE) server, Dell PowerEdge 2950. The current BIOS is 1.3.7 (03/26/2007).

I've been tasked to update it to the latest version, which is 2.7.0 (Release date: 12/08/2010).

My question is, since there are 8 BIOS updates between version 1.3.7 and 2.7.0, could I update the BIOS directly to 2.7.0 OR do I have to update the other 8 first and then update to 2.7.0?

Furthermore, if I'm required to update the other 8 BIOS updates, do I need to restart the server each time I applied an update OR could I choose not to reboot the server and continue to apply the 2nd update, and then 3rd, and so on?

Thank you,

Quan

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 16th, 2012 13:00

No, simply run 2.7.0, as it is a "cummulative" update and contains code of all previous BIOS releases.  

Be sure to update your other system firmware after updating the BIOS (ESM, RAID, NIC, DRAC, etc.).

2 Posts

April 19th, 2012 15:00

I have Dell poweredge server "PowerEdge 2950" in production envoirment running with  Windows 2003 server with service pack2, enterprise edition.and the current BIOS version is

BIOS version: 2.6.1

As per recomandation by dell get update the BIOS with BIOS Versión: 2.7.0.

My Question is supose after updating BIOS version, if any go wrong then how we revoke the it and move back to it's original installed  version of BIOS(BIOS version: 2.6.1)

990 Posts

April 20th, 2012 08:00

You can reflash the bios back to 2.6.1 if 2.7.0 fails to install.    Also, to answer your previous question about updating from 1.3.7 to 2.7.0,  if the update fails, you will have to reflash the bios to 1.3.7 and then update in the stair step method. Each one does require a restart.   We advise that you have a good and validated backup prior to running the update to protect any data.

Regards,

2 Posts

June 4th, 2012 14:00

I have a similar issue question pertaining to back out procedures except I've already upgraded and potentially wrecked my motherboard.

I have 2950 that was out of warranty that I was working on. It was on BIOS ver 2.6 and i attempted to upgrade to ver 2.7. It went to attempting BIOS upgrade please wait, it rebooted and never came back to life. I checked online and found where you can jumper cmos to clear the settings back to default factory. I did so and it booted into BIOS again. I noted that it was on the new ver of 2.7, so the upgrade actually took.

However once I changed a few settings and did the save exit option in BIOS it rebooted once again wouldn't post or show any video output. I can power it on and off but I never see a loading screen or BIOS screen. I tried clearing the settings with the jumper again and it didn't work. I also tried removing the cmos battery and that also didn't work. What can i try now? I'm hoping not to have to buy a new mobo to fix this.

Mike

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 4th, 2012 17:00

There are no "back out" procedures for BIOS updates on Dell machines.  Some high-end retail boards have a "rollback" feature allowing you to undo a previous flash, but that is not common (if ever used) on OEM systems.  You can try reflashing - or backflashing - but if you aren't getting ANYthing on the screen at all, then that will not work; you have to be able to boot to some kind of media (floppy, CD, etc.).

Clearing NVRAM using the jumpers is your best bet to get back to a state that you could potentially reflash to try to correct the corrupt BIOS code (if that is indeed the problem).

If you can't get it back up by clearing the NVRAM, then try removing all unnecessary parts (drives, controllers, expansion cards) and leave a single stick of memory in the first slot and a single processor.  Swap processors, putting processor 2 in slot 1.

If none of this helps, then replacing the motherboard is the next step.

2 Posts

June 5th, 2012 09:00

Thanks I'll give that a try.

No Events found!