Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 24th, 2011 11:00

CERC 1.5/6ch stuck rebuilding and doesn't recognize new drive

I had a 2 drive RAID1 setup where drive 0:1 went bad and drive 0:0 kept chugging along.  I removed 0:1 and replaced it with an identical drive (all the way down to even having the same firmware) and made the new drive a hot spare.

Problem is that the CERC doesn't seem to know or recognize the new drive.  I initialized it, verified it, made it a dedicated hot spare, a global hot spare and rescanned the CERC a million times and nothing. 

I think that the problem is that the existing drive is stuck in a "rebuilding" state according to RSM.  Funny thing is what or why is it rebuilding if it is only one drive?.  I think that if I can get the RAID rebuilt if I stop this rebuilding so it can see the new drive but I haven't found a way to do that.

I was thinking of using the "unmirror" option but I am concerned that if I do this then I won't be able to create another RAID1 without losing the OS on drive 0:0.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Diego

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 25th, 2011 07:00

What system as you working with?  As far as the current situation, does the system boot and work fine with drive 0:1 disconnected?  If you can boot up and the array is in a degraded state, you have options as far as possibly having issues related to a cable or the drive itself.  If you can run the unit on one drive, I would suggest reseating the drive cable and if issue persists, look at getting a different cable and hard drive to test with. 

18 Posts

February 25th, 2011 10:00

The system does boot and work OK with 0:1 disconnected.  I swapped cables but don't have another drive to test with.  On a separate post I received info that the unmirror procedure can be done without losing data so I am going to try that.  Will post back with results.  Wishe me luck!!

Thanks,

Diego

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 25th, 2011 11:00

With the drives being SATA drives, you can simply plug a drive into a SATA port and boot the unit.  That applies to any RAID 1. That said, once that is done, you will have effectively broken the mirror in which it can’t be fixed without recreating and initializing the array.

18 Posts

February 27th, 2011 11:00

Not sure I am following you here.  Do you mean I should take the existing drive at 0:0 which is working but stuck in rebuilding mode and move it to another SATA port?

Thanks,

Diego

No Events found!