Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2010 10:00

Can I replace 2 HD's in a RAID (Perc 1.5/2s) and go back if I have to?

I have a PE1800 w/ (2) 146Gig Drives in a Raid (mirrored config).  I am hoping to replace them with (2) 2TB drives,  and just do a restore from backup. 

I know I will have to create a new raidset in firmware.  If for whatever reason the restore goes badly,  can I put the 2 old drives back in and reboot?  I am worried once I kill the raid set to create the new one,  it wont reconize the original one if I have to revert

Thx!

scott

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 25th, 2010 11:00

If 146GB drives are SCSI drives connected to the onboard PERC 4e/Si, then yes, you can go back.  RAID configuration is stored on controller and on the drives, so you'd go to CTRL-M, View/Add, Drive Configuration, and Save.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

There still should not be an issue.  If things go badly with the larger drives, you can put the 160's back in.  What you will probably see is a message stating that there is a new configuration found, and it will have you hit a key to use/save that configuration, which is the configuration on the disk.

2 Posts

Unfort they are on the CERC 1.5/2s SATA RAID Controller... SCSI would be easier to work with.

No Events found!