Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

October 8th, 2016 06:00

Degraded RAID 1

Hi

I need to replace a SATA drive tomorrow on our T410 with PERC S300 software Raid - just wanted to see if I could get the suggested steps.  Its my understanding that I will replace the drive (in this case 0-00) and then boot the Server - then I will use Open Manage to do the remaining steps.  Can someone step me through that part.  I will attach pictures on the Controller info on Bootup - it shows the 0-00 drive marked as a Spare - but we have had issues with it before - so I want to replace it.

Thanks

1 Attachment

• 

6.2K Posts

October 8th, 2016 12:00

Hello

It appears that drive 00 is offline since it is red. Drives on the S300 retain their spare designation until it is manually removed, even if the drive is used as a hot spare in a virtual disk.

Since the drive is already offline you simply need to replace it and install the new drive. If the drives are cabled then you will need to power down to replace. If they are plugged into a backplane then you can hot swap them. The next steps will depend on what the controller does with the new drive.

• The controller might initiate a rebuild automatically. If it does this then you will not need to do anything further.
  • The controller may put the drive into a ready state. You can then mark the drive as a hot spare to have it pulled into the array and start rebuilding. You can remove the spare designation any time after the rebuild starts if you like.
  • The controller may bring the drive online into a non-RAID state. You will need to choose the delete virtual disk option to delete the non-RAID state from the new drive. Be careful not to delete the RAID 1 configuration on drive 01. The drive should then go to a ready state. You can follow the above instructions for the remaining steps.

Thanks

October 8th, 2016 18:00

Hi Daniel - thanks for you reply - if I am remembering correctly - the last time I needed to do this on another similar Server - the Dell Engineer had me do most all the steps after the drives was replaced and I rebooted into the OS - then I used Dell Open Manage to do steps similar to what you are describing.  Are you referring also to using Dell Open Manage or do you mean on at the point on boot-up when I can hit Ctrl - R?

• 

6.2K Posts

October 8th, 2016 19:00

Are you referring also to using Dell Open Manage or do you mean on at the point on boot-up when I can hit Ctrl - R?

You can do it in either location. OMSA allows access to certain options that would otherwise only be accessible by restarting the system and booting into a BIOS.

Thanks

No Events found!