Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2014 07:00

Dell 1950 Raid-1: one Failed HD: what is the best way to replace the faulty disk ?

Dear all

Currently we have a dell 1950 with 2 SAS drives RAID-1, one of the HD is blinking with amber color only

i have some identicals HDs as possible spare, but i would like to know what's the best way to replace the Faulty HD.

within the Operating System launched or under the Bios

can i replace it as a "hotswap" ?

do i need to do some after tasks ?

thank you so much

Arnaud

990 Posts

February 11th, 2014 07:00

You can use OpenManage to put the failed drive in a offline position, then replace the drive with the server powered up.  The array should begin to rebuild when the new drive is inserted. Make sure it is the same size or larger or the rebuild will fail.

Regards,

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 11th, 2014 09:00

Also remember:  Never power down a server to replace a hot-swappable drive.

4 Posts

February 12th, 2014 00:00

Thank you for your answers.

so to sum it up

to replace the faulty hardrive
launch open manage and put the failed drive in offline position
remove the drive
replace the drive with an identical or bigger driver (server power on)
then the array should rebuild)

Can i do it with windows launched ?

have a great day

4 Posts

February 12th, 2014 01:00

Ok i found another issue, my open manage version is too old and doesnt allow me to put a failed HD in Offline position

So i think i need to reboot the server

put the drive offline / remove the drive

reboot and add the new drive

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 12th, 2014 08:00

to replace the faulty hardrive
launch open manage and put the failed drive in offline position
remove the drive
replace the drive with an identical or bigger driver (server power on) then the array should rebuild)

Yes, this is right.  This can and should be done while the system on ... including the OS running.

Offlining the drive should be a basic function of all versions of OMSA.  What version are you running, and what makes you think the version is too old to support it?

You certainly could boot to the CTRL-R utility, force it offline there, then boot to Windows and do the rest through OMSA ... but you shouldn't need to.

No Events found!