Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 2nd, 2016 07:00

Dell PowerEdge 2900 - need to use internal disks for RAID

Hello All

I'm the I.T. guy for my Dad's small business. I help them on the side.

They recently bought a used PowerEdge 2900 server with 4 internal SCSI disk drives

This server also has a Dell SAS 5/i Integrated Controller

I want to install Windows 2008 R2 standard on this server and use it as a File Server and a place to host QuickBooks Enterprise. 

The problem I'm running into is that I cannot find in the Bios or anywhere in the server boot utilities where I can configure the 4 internal disks to become a RAID 5 array. I want to do that and THEN install the Windows Server OS. I've used the latest Dell Server Build Utility and also updated all the firmware to the latest builds. The Server Build Utility won't let me configure the RAID array.  What am I missing here?

Thank you for your help!!

6 Posts

May 6th, 2016 13:00

I upgraded to a PERC 6 / i Integrated RAID Controller and now problem is solved. Just needed a newer internal RAID Controller.  

Issue is resolved!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 2nd, 2016 10:00

Hello.

You will need  to install OpenManage Server Administrator for easy management of RAID arrays. See link: www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails. Go to Storage -> Controllers to create your Virtual Disks. You can also manage RAID array by entering the controller BIOS using Ctrl+R during POST. Highlight Virtual Disk Management and hit F2 for available options and proceed.

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 12:00

Thank you, will give that a shot tonight

6 Posts

May 2nd, 2016 17:00

Ok...so I tried Openmange Server Administrator..that did not work.  

Also, Ctrl+R does not work

Do i need to get a DX481 controller?

Something like this?

www.ebay.com/.../201499081615

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

May 5th, 2016 16:00

Could you elaborate a little when you say both OMSA and Ctrl+R utility did not work? Providing screen shots would be helpful.

No Events found!