Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2014 00:00

Dell PowerEdgh R420 and PERC H710 mini RAID Set-up

Hi,

I am a bit new to RAID configuration.

I have 4 SATA HDDs, 2 1TB HDD and 2 2TB HDD. I only want to have my 1TB on a RAID 1.

When I did that, I could not find the 2x 2TB HDD.

Is it possible to access the other 2 HDD when they are connected to one controller?

261 Posts

September 11th, 2014 08:00

I believe i understand what you're getting at now.  You not wanting to RAID the other two 2TB drives. So, what you're seeing is correct. The OS won't show the other drives because they must be setup as RAID If they are connected as such.  You'll need to create them both individually as two separate RAID 0 VD's.

You'll then see 3 VD's total from the PERC RAID BIOS. 

VD0- OS RAID1 (Drives 0 & 1)
VD1- RAID 0 (drive 2)
VD2- RAID 0 (drive 3)

Within Windows Disk Management, you'll also them as 3 separate logical drives that you can work with. 

261 Posts

September 9th, 2014 12:00

We'll be glad to help.  There is no reason I can think of for why the other drives would be missing unless you have a failed cable or backplane slot issue.  Where exactly are you seeing the missing 2TB drives?  Can you provide a screen shot? I'm sure we can quickly get to the bottom of this. 

3 Posts

September 11th, 2014 05:00

I can see the 2 TB when I go to the raid bios. It is in ready state.

But when I installed an OS I can only see the raided 1TB. Then it is not visible in the disk management after I continued installing the OS. it only displayed the driver of H710 with 1TB raided VD.

My OS is Win Server 2012 R2.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2014 18:00

Thanks.  Can see the other drives now

No Events found!