Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

June 16th, 2020 18:00

Extremely slow SSD/HDD slow I/O performance, Dell R530

Hello guys, I stumbled upon a server (Dell R530) where ssd and hdd performance is extremely slow and I do not know what is the problem. Re-installation is not an option. I can provide necessary information to pinpoint the problem and together find the solution. Thanks in advance guys. Here are some pictures of simple ATTO Disk tests, first two are for ssd and third one is for hdd: https://imgur.com/a/lN0YW6n

• 

3.4K Posts

June 17th, 2020 01:00

Hi,

May I know if the drives that you have there are Dell drives or non-Dell? There are instances that non-Dell drives cannot perform as expected as the system has it's own proprietary firmware.

Also, can you try removing either the SSDs or SATA drives out from the system and perform a test benchmark?

Could you also confirm the system is running on the latest firmwares, BIOS and LCC. 

5 Posts

June 17th, 2020 10:00

Hi @DELL-Joey C thanks for the reply. I can confirm that it is not running latest firmware, BIOS and LCC. Also SSD in use is Dell thnsf8200ccse and 2x Seagate 3TB setup like mirrored volume.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 17th, 2020 12:00

Cikavuve,

In that case I would start with updating the BIOS, iDrac, LCC, raid controller, as well as the drives if avaiable. Now if the server is more than a few updates back on BIOS and iDrac, I would suggest walking them up to current together, as jumping to the lastest can cause issues. After updating let us know if the performance is still slow, or has improved. 

Thanks.

5 Posts

June 21st, 2020 16:00

@DELL-Chris HJust to report back. I updated iDrac with LCC, BIOS and Raid Controller, definitely saw an improvement but I think primary thing is in how Windows Server RDS is setup. Also doing some defragmentation on 2x 3TB Seagates they have 58% fragmented on 1.5tb used. Thanks for the input guys

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 10:00

@DELL-Chris HIs it possible to replace 2x 3TB Seagate's with NVMe ssds and if possible how would I clone data from HDD's to SSD's.

• 

8.8K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 11:00

Cikavuve,

While SSDs are supported, I don't see that NVMe SSDs are. 

5 Posts

June 22nd, 2020 14:00

Would it be possible to install nvme directly into PCI-E, not as a boot drive. If that is not an option what would be the procedure to clone data from hdd from ssd. Do I have to keep an eye on something. Thanks for helping me figure these things out!

• 

3.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 19:00

Hello,

There hasn't been any verified test on any PCIe NVMe on R530 so  wouldn't be able to inform you if R530 is able to support PCIe NVMe. 

How many drive slots are still available on your R530? You probably can make use of the slots to do copy of data. There is no cloning software available in Dell servers, only in Dell storage.

No Events found!