Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 30th, 2018 07:00

H700 SAS Cables and battery for an R905

Hello there,

We have a R905 with a PERC 6/i SAS RAID controller internal (controller: YW946, battery: U8735),and we are replacing it with an H700.

It seems that we need the H700 integrated version (non-adapter) that goes into the "internal storage" slot.

We are also trying to figure out the model of the battery, and the SAS cables needed to connect the H700 to the backpane of the R905 (W514G, 3.5").  Exact part numbers would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

• 

6.2K Posts

March 30th, 2018 09:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

March 30th, 2018 12:00

Thank you for the service tag.

They H700 is not supported in the R905, so installing an H700 will be trial and error on your part. I don't know if you will be able to get it to work. Regarding the battery, the PERC5i, PERC6i, and H700 use the same battery.

The internal storage slot on the R905 is not the same as an integrated storage slot. I think your best chance of success would be to use the H700 adapter version in a normal PCIe slot, not the internal storage slot. I am unaware of a system with a normal SAS backplane that is validated for an H700. I looked through a few systems and was unable to locate one that had a mini-SAS to SAS cable that might work. To my knowledge there is nothing proprietary about the cables we use, besides characteristics like length for optimal air flow. You should be able to locate a mini-SAS(SFF-8087) to SAS(SFF-8484) online somewhere.

I did not review all possible issues you may encounter. I suggest that you review the PCIe slot architecture in the manual to make sure it will accommodate an H700 adapter. You should also review any other related architecture for possible issues.

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r905/

Thanks

No Events found!