Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

December 20th, 2018 02:00

HBA330 mini - no disks after Firmware Update

Hello,

We have successfully set up a VSAN Cluster with 3x Dell R540 and the hba330 mini controller.
But we had to update the firmware to version 16.17.00.03 because of the VSAN HCL.

Ive updated the firmware via Perccli.
Unfortunately no disks will be recognized after the update...

I tried everything possible, flashed the firmware again, also via idrac...without success.
The adapter itself is recognized without problems and shows no errors.

The only strange thing is that it is now displayed as "HBA330 adp" and not "HBA330 mini" anymore.
(Firmware was definitely for mini)

Is there a way to downgrade the firmware?
Perccli does not allow this.

Thank you

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

December 20th, 2018 10:00

Hello,

You can try taking the firmware down a revision using the iDRAC. However, the last version that I see posted on the website is 15.17.09.06. That would be a major revision back, so it may not take. There is also an option to perform a firmware rollback in the iDRAC at Maintenance > System Update > Rollback.

Does the system see the disks outside of ESXi? If not, there may be some other firmware to look at, such as hard drive firmware. Before making further changes though, I would recommend trying to confirm if the hardware by itself can detect the storage. You can check this from the Device Settings menu of the F2 boot option, then selecting the controller. If the system does not see the drives outside the OS, the first thing I would try is to use the firmware rollback option in the iDRAC.

I tested this process with an R6415 and an HBA330 Mini, and I was able to downgrade the firmware using the file in the iDRAC. I didn't have a prompt for the device in the Rollback menu.

3 Posts

December 20th, 2018 16:00

Dell can you please provide an update on this item.  Is there a firmware version issue for the HBA330 with this new Firmware or was it an issue with the way that the update was applied.  I have alot of these HBA330s running and prior to doing an upgrade this should be fully communicated to the community.  

No Events found!