Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2015 08:00

HDD positioning on a PowerEdge R720

I have a R720 with 16 x 2.5" drive bays, spanning two backplanes. I plan to create a RAID 10 array with 6 drives. Should I be distributing the drives between the two backplanes, or just starting at 1 and working my way up sequentially?

• 

8.8K Posts

March 18th, 2015 13:00

Andychips, 

With the two 2.5in x8 backplanes, they can be configured into a dual configuration supporting up to 16 2.5 hard drives. One backplane would be connected to the integrated storage controller, and the second would be cabled to PCIe RAID controller. So with that configuration I believe they will have to be raided individually. 

Let me know if this helps answer

18 Posts

March 19th, 2015 01:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for replying. I'm fairly sure (without opening it up) that both backplanes are connected to the Perc H310 RAID controller. Does that change your answer at all?

A.

18 Posts

March 19th, 2015 09:00

Thanks Chris. It's going to be one single RAID 10 array, comprising 6 disks. I thought maybe I should have 3 on one backplane and 3 on the other? Or doesn't it matter if I'm not worried about identifying what drive is in which array?

• 

8.8K Posts

March 19th, 2015 09:00

Yes, if connected to the single controller you can assign any drive to each array. Personally I try to mirror physical layout to the virtual disk layout, just so it is easier to identify a failed drive. You can pick and chose if you wish though.

No Events found!