Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2019 17:00

How Do I Erase Poweredge R730 Hard Drives?

Hi,  I'm trying to erase hard drives on a Powerdge R730 that has a Windows password.  I haven't been able to boot from a Windows 7 or Dban USB drive.  I just get an error.  I think I've disabled the RAID and the Virtual Drives so I should be able to format the 4 x drives individually, right?   Why can't I boot from the USB?  Thanks for any info or suggestions. - Steve

• 

6.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2019 14:00

Hello

An operating system password should not affect your ability to boot from other operating systems. Some pre-installation environments do not support USB 3.0. Make sure USB 3.0 is disabled when trying to boot from operating systems/environments that do not have driver support. That may be what is causing the boot errors.

You have the option in the PERC to perform a full initialization. A full initialization is similar to writing zeroes to a drive. You may need to create a virtual disk to perform a full initialization. You can check in the controller manual.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

3 Posts

July 22nd, 2021 06:00

If you want to use DBAN, go into the PERC Menu and select RAID0 with one Disk, create another RAID0 with HDD2 and so on. 10 Disks means 10 RAID0 each with 1 HDD. Now you can boot DBAN - there you go! Select each disk and chose your prefered scrubbing mode. 

No Events found!