Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2014 02:00

How do I expand a PERC6/i RAID-5 array with DPM2010 storage pool on PowerEdge 2900?

Hi,

I have PowerEdge 2900 with PERC 6/i Raid controller.

Currently there are two raid configurations on it RAID1 + hot spare and RAID 5 (4x 2TB near line SAS HDD). 

RAID 1 is windows 2008 R2 installation
and RAID 5 is storage pool for DPM 2012.

I am looking to add two more 2TB (SATA) HDDs to expand RAID 5 config to ~10TB of Storage pool for the DPM 2010.

I know that it cannot be done via RAID Bios but I read I can do it through OpenManage from OS level.

My question is when it is all done will I be able to allocate the new space to DPM2010 storage pool - or will it be automatically recognized without currently stored data on RAID5?

I of course would need to remove HotSpare for OS to make slots available for the new 2x TB SATA.

I assume that there will be no problem to mix and match near-line SAS drives with pure SATA hdds in one RAID 5 config?

Cheers and thanks for input!

• 

8.8K Posts

July 8th, 2014 07:00

Sebna,

You will not be able to mix SAS and SATA drives within the same Raid Array. Although the Perc 6/i supports having both SAS and SATA raid configurations, you can't mix them in the same array. 

In regards to expanding the Raid 5, you can do so with the use of Online Expansion. In order to be able to extend the partition within the array you would need Dell ExtPart - http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=R64398

Now just a side note, anytime you are working with, moving, modifying the raid configuration I would HIGHLY suggest having a tested backup. Also expanding the array won't expand any partition within.

This is a clip of how to use ExtPart in expanding the partition - http://bit.ly/1qRwPyy

In regards to the space. When you access the Disk Mgmt in the OS you should see it listed as unallocated space. Which you can then configure.

Let me know if this helps.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 8th, 2014 11:00

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you are trying to do.  Reconfiguration (adding a disk to RAID 5, called Online Capacity Expansion) IS a supported operation on the PERC 6.

Dell's ExtPart can extend Windows partitions to fill the RAID array capacity after expanding the RAID size ... it CANNOT extend the RAID array itself.  Only OMSA can do that. 

Servers 2008 and later (should include DPM 2010) can extend a simple volume/partition without the need for third-party tools (like ExtPart), by simply right-clicking and choosing Extend.

• 

8.8K Posts

July 8th, 2014 12:00

Sorry Flash, I corrected the wording in my post. Sorry about that.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 14th, 2014 08:00

Time to complete, as well as performance degradation, is about like rebuilding a failed drive.

15 Posts

July 14th, 2014 08:00

Thank you guys for input.

The Array is expanding from OMSA level. It takes ages however.

Cheers

No Events found!