mrpush
1 Nickel

Re: How to upgrade to larger hard drives on PE1800 w CERC SATA 1.5/6?

Hi,

I figured it out.  After trying everything possible to get this image to boot, I happened into the CERC BIOS array manager.  Huh, look at that.  There is a CTRL-B option to change the array boot order.  Who saw that?  Not me.  Who read that in the documentation?  Not me cause its not there!  It mention "boot array" but does not mention that you MUST do tis on a new boot array, no instructions.

Turns out that this CERC is in charge period or the Boot devices and their settings.  Try to change the boot stuff on a drive attached to ths CERC that is NOT set as the boot array and forget it.  It prevents changing drive letters as well.  

Once set as the boot array, my images were bootable after running the fixes for boot issues.

I ran FIXBOOT, FIXMBR, and BOOTCFG /rebuild from the Windows OS CD recovery console and it booted right up.

Let me give a warning however.  This CERC is jacked.  It works ok and is consistant, as long as you DON'T MESS WITH IT.

If you think you are going to pop in a few new drives in place of others, move drives onto different ports doing a few reboots in the process and you will have a messed up RAID.  This controller changes setting on you all by itself.

I lost a RAID-1 to a "VOLUME" type in the BIOS and a "DEGRADED" raid-1 in the Dell open manager.  Two different things!  YIKES!  The drive is now stuck that way and cannot be remirrored, not spared or changed.

I REPEAT DO NOT MESS WITH THIS CONTROLLER, YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID!

Highlighted
mrpush
1 Nickel

Re: How to upgrade to larger hard drives on PE1800 w CERC SATA 1.5/6?

Whoops, don't  forget to get the CERC Stat 1.5/6 drivers from dell site.  You need them on a floppy.  When booting to OS CD, press F6, it will grab them from the floppy drive.  Press "S", select CERC SATA and enter.  Yo willnot wee all the drives on the CERC.